PDA

View Full Version : cooling fan on my XE

MyNovaSr
10-04-07, 08:04 PM
Just recently ive noticed that my fan is not cutting in. Its a C20XE with a nova 1.6 Radiator. Ive took the thermostat out of the bottom of the radiator, put another one in and still nothing.

Ive also tried another fan and still nothing (The other fan was one I origionally got with the 1.6 rad so I dont know if it works). It could be that both fans are nackered but i dont know.

Does the fan click on from the thermostat located at the bottom of the rad? Or somewhere else.

Ive also been looking on ebay at 9 and 10" fans but they are a bit expensive. Can I get them elsewhere?

Little help here needed people :thumb:

partytownsri
10-04-07, 08:10 PM
take the wiring plug off the fan switch and using a peice of wire in the two connections check to see if its working, if it works then its the fan switch, if it doesnt work then its the fan or the wiring, hope this helps to solve the problem. mike

MyNovaSr
10-04-07, 08:19 PM
By the fan switch i guess u mean the thingy at bottom of rad. What u mean mate by sticking a bit of wire in it? thx

gazz
10-04-07, 08:25 PM
what he means is,where your plug is on the fan, disconnect it.the plug on the fan end put 2 wires coming off of it and connect to the battery.if it spins then it work's, and if it dont then get another one.hope this helps you ..:thumb:

Jon_nova1
10-04-07, 08:31 PM
is it overheating?

MyNovaSr
10-04-07, 08:33 PM
no not overheating until I stop. When going along it stays at a steady 3 bars on the digi dash but when u stop in traffic it goes up to 4 bars. With the blowers on hot it doesnt climb any higher :) .

Jon_nova1
10-04-07, 08:38 PM
im sure mine used to creep between 3 and 4 bars, has the water ever boiled with the cap on?

MyNovaSr
10-04-07, 09:18 PM
not sure but there is some white scum around the cap which indicates to me that at some stage its boiled but again im not sure.

Lee
10-04-07, 10:20 PM
Sounds like Mr head gasket has decided to wave the white flag. It shouldnt climb over two bars on the digidash when driving TBH.

Is there mayonaise on the oil cap? Is the coolant a bit sludgy?