PDA

View Full Version : I DOON'T BEL EEEVE IT!!!!

Anonymous
15-12-01, 07:00 PM
well wat a day. I rang regal and spoke to them bout fitting my lifters, he goes as long as i dont move the head i wont av to change the head gasket, so all was goin well, being carefull not to move the head, didit all and though well the hard bits over now. Started to put my new head bolts in. #Set the wrench to 25nm-18ft-lb and started to tighen next fin chunk snapped :O so i whipped the head off in bout 20 mins. theres bout 1/2cm of thread and i can just grab it wiv the mole grips, but its well tight every1 goes it should be lose?. Wat i did do is coat the thread of the headbolts wiv oil as we did tis to my mates gt turbo, was i meant to do tis or not? also wats the best way to get the rest of the bolt out any ideas tryed mole grips but it seems to tight? Also any ideas y it snapped is it cause i coated the thead wiv oil any ideas cheers. Im gonna av a go 2mozz so that should be fun:). Any ideas also wat else i can do while i got the head off performance wise, i got a blydenstien head already, shrick cam 40's etc. cheers

Anonymous
15-12-01, 07:20 PM
could be faulty head bolt (it was new wasnt it?)

i snapped a brand new bolt on my td last month becuase the torque wrench was faulty X-(

Micky@novaload.net

Anonymous
16-12-01, 09:48 AM
Difficult to say why this happened but there must be sumthing wrong with your procedure as 18ftlbs is nowhere near enuff torque ro break a new head bolt - its just nipped up really.
Now that its done if there's only 15 mm you prob. haven't got enuff showing to get stud extractor on it (fits 1/4in drive ratchet). The next best bet would be a set of baby stilsons or similar. The more pressure you put on them the more they tighten up. The other alternatives involve heating up with oxy -acetylene (bit dodgy if u aren't experienced) or cutting it down and drilling it out ( also dodgy if u aren't experienced)
A professional mech. would prob have the wherewithall to get it out and may save you a lot of messing about.
As rgds oiling the head bolts I wouldnt advise doing it. The problem is that oil etc can block up the stud holes preventing the head bolt from going right down in properly.
You should always blow/clean the stud holes out b4 putting new ones back in.

Anonymous
16-12-01, 01:38 PM
easy... cut a slot in it (caution: don't let metal fall in bores) and use a large screwdriver or a screwdriver bit in a rachet to unscrew it

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

2.0 16v back soon :D

Anonymous
16-12-01, 01:42 PM
you shouldnt coat the threads in oil, on any bolt, as it can allow over torquing (even if you use a torque wrench). drill a small is holl in the bolt and screw in a reverse tap (simple stud remover) and then keep tightening till it starts to undo

"I'm a junky with a monkey"

Anonymous
16-12-01, 03:17 PM
with my 3rd set ov headbolts on the td in 1 week (long expesive story), i bought sum from another company and they came with sum grease to put on the threads (looked very simmiler to copper slip)

Micky@novaload.net

Anonymous
17-12-01, 05:14 PM
instructions said stick it on the threads!

Micky@novaload.net