PDA

View Full Version : New Toy

ade
09-04-07, 08:57 PM
Been toying with this for ages and asked some of you for advice. Well finally decided to buy a digital SLR camera last week - birthday treat.

Got a Canon 350d - very smart. Found it on ebay and it came with an extended warranty till Nov 2008 so well chuffed (its been signed over to me too).

:thumb:

Came with lots of extras but only 1 lens which I'm very happy with for the time being. Loads of features that I dont fully understand yet but have subscribed to a decent slr mag (and no comments about nudy lady photos please!) so will hopefully be able to take decent pics when I take meself off to the summer car shows.

Anyway - the guy who sold it lived in Ayr just down the road from me so I went to collect it. Was a gorgeous day so took myself off round Ayr and took some pics. Also went to the Glasgow Science centre.

The software you get with the camera is pretty cool - theres a program that stitches pictures together. heres some of the results -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/towerweb.jpg
(3 images stitched)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/towerweb1.jpg
(2 images stitched)

These have been totally scaled down - the full size of the top pic at 100% is over 2 metres long! Resolution is unreal!

Totally recommend it to anyone who is considering getting one.

Also - whilst wandering down Ayr beach (which I have to say was an absolute sh1te hole - never seen so many Buckfast bottles outside a Happy Shopper off license) Came across a bunch of neds (chavs) having a laugh in the sand. They seemed to be drawing something. Intreagued I jumped up on the wall to take a look and they'd srawn a 40ft c0ck with the word PENIS under it - just incase no one knew what it was.

lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/cock1.jpg

NovaLad
09-04-07, 09:08 PM
lollollol

Jack
10-04-07, 05:51 PM
lol nice

Good shots, quite fancy getting one of those for myself although I'm still in two minds about going back to Canon or trying a Nikon...

bump
10-04-07, 08:08 PM
Their nice bodies, I plumped for the 400D instead for fun shooting, a few choice features for a small amount more.

draper
10-04-07, 08:12 PM
id really like agood camera with some of the trick features you can do but i wouldnt know where to start in looking for one, or even what i want. i really like the moving shots you can do - was with a keen photographer at pod a few months ago and his pictures were brillinat

bump
10-04-07, 08:32 PM
Let me know some details about what you want to do and I'll help you out.
Did my degree in the subject and worked in the field.

draper
10-04-07, 08:41 PM
i want good quality pics lol i like the feature where you take loads of photos of a moving subject (say a car going up the 1/4) then pick your favourite image, kinda like picking a frame from a video

id also like to take videos, erm what else is there lol

i know not my strongest subject

draper
10-04-07, 08:43 PM
also fairly cheap to begin with, as th elast thing i want to do is spend ???s on a camera for it to sit there (like my nova bits)

bump
10-04-07, 09:18 PM
Right, a high frame rate is in the DSLR reigion, it requires fst DIGIC processing and hence is ???, you can get 3 ish FPS from the upper end compacts, anything above that forget it. also the key thing to look at is max buffer size, as this determines how many frames you can shoot before the camera has to write to the card also look at the speed of the card as this has a significant effect. Pretty much all compacts have a reasonable video mode, so nothing really to worry about there.
Are you thinking just for 1/4's or for other events as well? would you be prepaired to sacrifice some of the 1/4 performance to have a usable camera for taking down the pub etc? Budget? What are you used to at present?

goldengraham
12-04-07, 11:06 PM
i want an SLR, was look at them a few weeks back, just dont have the money at the moment :(