PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 nova

richi
09-04-07, 01:27 PM
looki att buying a nova the guy said it is a 1.8 with 160bhp, is he dreaming? if its true what lump will it be? it has had a rebuild, is there any way i can check that it has

JSeymour
09-04-07, 02:13 PM
8v or 16v? the mk2 astras came with a 1.8 8v engine(in the gte. about 115bhp). and iirc the mk3 atras had 1.8 16v engines.

ask him for a dyno chart. with out one it would just be a guess from the work thats been done. ask him who done the work and if theres reciets or machenic reports.

Philsutton
09-04-07, 09:59 PM
It wasnt on ebay by any chance was it? If so yes he is dreaming. To get 160bhp out of it would require a fair amount of money to be spent on it.

Stuart
09-04-07, 10:06 PM
aye, even the 1.8 16V is only 125bhp, and no air filter + zorst init is going to get it to 160bhp, thats going to need mappable ECU, cams at the very least. and probably TB's too

richi
10-04-07, 05:23 PM
he told me its out a a cav, so think they are 115bhp as standard, so think he is lying a bit yeah was the one off ebay.

babi_bek
10-04-07, 05:26 PM
i was going to have it tell him jog on!!

sjoerdps
10-04-07, 06:19 PM
it is certainly possible, with a c18xe.....1.8 16v

I've got one in my nova, not with 160bhp, but 150bhp.

I drilled out the in and outlet from the cilinderhead, and fitted new valves.

camshaft is the original, everything is original.

And after that i fitted a chip in the ecu, It did a 148 bhp

And the cost wasn't that much, i did everything myself

except for the chip.

greetz, sjoerd.........from the Netherlands

and by the way......y've got the steering wheel at the wrong side of the car
(joke)

Stuart
10-04-07, 06:21 PM
bigger valves?

sjoerdps
10-04-07, 06:28 PM
no, the same original valves.

3 of them where damaged, so i fitted all new.

MyNovaSr
10-04-07, 09:15 PM
Enough of all this so called ?dreaming?.

The car is mine. I ran it for a while as a 1.3 but was offered a 1.8 with the chance of tuning it through someone I knew that owned a garage. I told him id like 160bhp out of it. He said he could get that out of it while ?blueprinting? the engine at the cost of ?500. ?Mates rates??

I went regular to check on progress. He had stripped the engine bay down, changed the engine mounts like you do for an XE as well as seam welding it for strength. The next time I went he had fully painted the engine bay in a black/green flip paint. Then I fell out with him big time and the price went up to ?1000! I paid the man and took the car with the engine in but not wired ?

So I was only giving an indication of BHP from what I?ve been told.

I assumed it was what it was and it seemed considerably quicker when I eventually tested it on an air field.

Please don?t slag me off its not nice when I am trying my best not to bull****.

Mint shells change hands for more than what I am asking and it?s got no rust on the shell...
With the list of other bits done to it, it?s not expensive really. :confused:

Stuart
10-04-07, 10:46 PM
no offence. but blue printing WONT get you to 160bhp..blue printing might free up 5-10bhp tops. Its what is done for group N rallying where the manufacturing tollereneces are used to make the "best" engine from the available parts.

prehaps you should take the power claims out for safety ;)

babi_bek
11-04-07, 11:49 AM
change xe mounts blueprint engine and paint engine bay black green flip for 160horses not bad at all lol

turbojolt
11-04-07, 12:59 PM
im off to halfords for some paint if it means i can get a extra 45 hp out of my motor

MyNovaSr
11-04-07, 07:17 PM
needless to say i didnt bull****. As from now I will reduce the power claim somewhat then.i was only telling what i'd been told i sed 2 the guy that it might not be acurate. :cool: