PDA

View Full Version : Wots all this about???

Anonymous
16-12-01, 09:04 PM
Right 2 things,
1) Was cummin back from Blackpool last night and muckin about on the m6 as u do,i always thought my car was faster in 4th than 5th but last night confirmed it, i was sittin at 130mph in 4th (5800rpm) and when i changed into 5th i slowed to about 125mph and it struggled to pull. Changed back into 4th and it went to about 132mph,(Wats the beef? is this right?)Has anybody else got a GTE that does this?

2) Went to wash all the salt off my motor this morning and just happened to check under my oil filler cap (cos i knew id givin it a raggin the night before) there was a little bit of creamy liquid on the bottom ov the cover, (Head gasket) Well when i got home about 5 miles i checked it again and it's, fine, wats the crack should i get a new head gasket kit or is it just cos i booted the arse off it last night???

And be4ore any one starts my clocks are accurate and im not talkin shit.

Daz9124@aol.com

Twitchin like a pigs eye!

Anonymous
16-12-01, 10:31 PM
about yer creamy findings - i wouldnt worry about that if it's disappeared. its probably just condensation cos mine does that sumtimes

Anonymous
16-12-01, 10:41 PM
About the creamy thing too- My GTE does it, It comes and goes. Nowt to worry about (I hope so anyway)

We like a smooth behind

Anonymous
16-12-01, 11:00 PM
Its all to do with yur gear ratios.
Basically 5th is too "tall" or "overgeared" and your engine ain't got the power to get anywhere near max revs as wind resistance builds up at the higher speed.
Me and MC spent a lot of time boring everyone on the site about this but we found that it seems that contrary to wot Haynes sez, the GTE's and GSi's have a wide ratio F13/5 'box where 5th is 0.71:1
We swapped to the F13/5 close ratio cluster( out of a 1.4SR) which means you will be able to get nearer fuul revs as 5th is 0.89:1 which is your present 4th. Only thing is your 1.6 will have the lowest geared final drive (4.18:1) which will make the car very much more revvy at any given speed than b4. In this case you could swap to the 3.94 or 3.74:1 final drives that are in other models.

Anonymous
16-12-01, 11:27 PM
i have heard ppl talking about swapping the cluster in the box. how is this done and what ones fit what ??

cheers

rodgerq

Anonymous
16-12-01, 11:47 PM
CP.....I'm confused about gear ratios in Novas, 'cos in the brochures, the 1.3 SR doesn't have a close ratio at all, but the GTE does.....also, the 1.4 SR does have a close ratio with the same ratios as the GSi, but with a different final drive.

I always thought in the past that all SR's had a close ratio box, but it was only after reading the brochure details more closely that I noticed that they don't.

According to the Vaux brochures, the GSi 5th is 0.89:1, which is the same as the GTE, in fact, all the ratios of the GTE box are the same as the GSi one.

Also, according to the brochures, the GTE and GSi have a 3.74:1 final drive ratio, and not the 4.18:1 as you say CP
The ONLY model as far as I know, that uses the 4.18:1 final drive, is the 1.3SR 5-speed box.

What's going on?
I don't 100% trust the Haynes, but surely Vauxhall must get their brochure right :-/

Anonymous
17-12-01, 12:05 AM
Yeah wats the Beef? Mine should pull in 5th much more than it does, is there anything at all i can do without reckin my low gears? Wat gear box is the best 4 a 1600? most ov that is well above my head, has anybody got any explinations for me the daft ****, lol

Anonymous
17-12-01, 12:51 AM
darren, u have an astra wide ratio f13 m8!! i got 2 myself in the garage, there not bad on the motorway!
If u want lower ratios, then get an f13cr, or an f15cr from a corsa. the f15 is kinda inbetwen the f13cr, and f13wr.

Anonymous
17-12-01, 09:43 AM
Will th F13cr fit straight in? and would it make much difference, My gear box was replaced before i bought the car, the lad said he paid ?400 for vauxhall to fit new box and clutch does that sound like it wasnt a Standard GTE Box that they put in? Does anybody else's GTE Have this problem?

Anonymous
17-12-01, 11:35 AM
All I can say is wot we found. I have a GSi(C16SE) engine with its original box and MC has a GTE (C16SE) engine with its original box. MC was adamant that sumthing wasn't as they say it is cos of the speeds he could get in 4th when his was a 1.4SR engine and box.
We took both 1.6 boxes apart and counted all the cogs inc. the crown wheels and pinions in the FD. We both had the F13/W (the box is stamped F10!) and the ratio's are:
1st - 3.55:1
2nd - 1.96:1
3rd - 1.30:1
4th - 0.89:1
5th - 0.71:1

The FD is 4.18:1

The swap is easy. Get a 1.4SR box (F13/CR)
E-mail me direct and I'll send full instructions on what we've found and what we are now running. Its well worth doing:)

Anonymous
17-12-01, 12:00 PM
so what your all saying is really for me, instead of searching for an f13 to go with my Gsi engine i should really stick my 1.4SR one in???

Anonymous
17-12-01, 12:22 PM
lol my 2.0 16v just keeps pulling in 5th

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

2.0 16v back soon :D

Anonymous
17-12-01, 01:15 PM
Is the F20 the best one for the 2L 16v ??
Can u get close ratio in them???

Anonymous
17-12-01, 04:31 PM
iv seen a few GTE's with both the f13cr and f13wr. Well the haynes specifies it comes with the close ratio box, as its a sporty car. The cr is better for slower speed acceleration. like 0-60, but id say the other box was better on the motorway.
I paid ?65 for the f13cr to replace my f13wr, but got an f15 insted and sold the f13cr for ?50. Most places try to sell them for around ?150 b warned!
The f13cr/f13wr/f15/f15cr all look exactly the same. i think the flywheel cover on the f15 is different but they fit the same engines fine!

Anonymous
17-12-01, 06:48 PM
im the same i got a cavy turbo deisel box and it pulls all the way in 4th but slows 2 bout 135 in 5th!

Anonymous
17-12-01, 07:22 PM
Is there anything that needs to be modified to mate the 1.4SR box with my GTE engine then?:-/

Anonymous
17-12-01, 07:33 PM
what f number is stamped on the cav td box, i was led to belive it was an F18

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

2.0 16v back soon :D

Anonymous
17-12-01, 09:02 PM
You cant put a 1.4 SR box on any of the 1.6's because the 1.6 has a bigger flywheel which requires a bigger bell housing. ( you can swap the 1.4 flywheel/clutch assembly over to get round this) We just took the end cover off the box which has all the gear clusters attached to it and swapped this over. The end covers and gear clusters are interchangeable.
As far as I can see GM just mixed and matched within and between models without getting it all recorded properly.

Anonymous
17-12-01, 10:19 PM
CP.....it looks like that GTE and GSi have the 1.3 SR box and final drive then....weird.

Did you ever check what ratio the reverse was, just out of interest?
It should be 3.31:1 in all MKII Novas and the GTE, but 3.18:1 in all other models.
Just interested to see if the boxes in those cars you tested, where exactly the same as the 1.3SR box.

As far as I can see GM just mixed and matched within and between models without getting it all recorded properly.

Yep....seams about right!