PDA

View Full Version : removing alternator pully

Anonymous
14-12-01, 05:00 PM
Hi, Im trying to change my cam belt on my SRi. I cannot get the bolt on the big alternator pully to move. When I do it just spins the wheel around. I tried putting into gear but the pully still moved a bit and the car moved more then anything. any ideas?

Anonymous
14-12-01, 07:30 PM
u dont av to touch the altenator do u? thats only if ur doin the fan belt.

Anonymous
14-12-01, 08:51 PM
I'm having the same problem while stripping down my 1.3sr engine. i can't take the pully off becaue the crank is just spining. any idea?

Anonymous
14-12-01, 10:17 PM
I'm sorry to say this Dogz Bollox (sorry don't know your real name m8)but you are sadly misguided with what you think needs to be done. I'm not meaning to be unfriendly but if you want some good advice, you really must get some professional/knowledgeable help with your engine as I think that you are in a lot more trouble than you think.
Your belt has snapped which means that the head must be removed to check for damage unless its a "safe" engine. If it isn't, its a big job and at no time do you need to remove the alternator pulley, you just slacken the bolts holding it to its bracket and undo the adjuster. If you want to know fully what's involved get a Haynes manual b4 you do anything else. Please get help as you really do need it.

Anonymous
14-12-01, 10:28 PM
I'm assuming you mean the crankshaft pulley, in this case, you'll need to jam the flywheel with a suitable pry bar or spanner,

can't remember off hand if the pulley needs to come off?
Get yourself a haynes as CP says, even go to a library and borrow one,

Anonymous
15-12-01, 12:16 PM
I looked in the haynes and when it goes on about replacing a cam belt it doesnt mention the crankshaft pulley. and their are no pictures of it at all or any talk of removing it. It has to come off though as their is a plastic cover around the waterpump, bottom cam pully etc. The bolts for undoing this cover is behind the crankshaft pulley. CP thanks for the advice I didnt mean the alternator I meant the crankshaft pully (Im not the best with car part names I am very fond of using the term thingymajig, ooofer etc etc.)
The engine """should""" be fine I have great faith in them. And if it isnt I need to get the cam on so I can get the car to my fav garage. but hey we wont find out till I start her up!

Anonymous
15-12-01, 05:49 PM
I changed the belt on my GF's 1.2 Antibes today. To stop the crank spinning all you need do is remove the plate covering the clutch, it's held in by 4 11mm bolts. Then jam the clutch with a bloody great screwdriver. Then removing the crank pulley should be easy. My one today was bloody tight, but a big screwdriver and a breaker bar showed it the way!
PS. Have you made sure you've got a new water pump sealing ring? It will leak if you have to move it, and you must remove the pump and clean it up, fit a new ring and smear a little light grease on it. It took me about 2 hours this morning.

Anonymous
15-12-01, 07:33 PM
The pump is only a month old and had a new ring. so shouldnt really need replacing (thats what ive told my self) I fitted the cambelt and adjusted the waterpump and their is no leaking!!!! Ive got a load of gasket sealent at hand just in case though. How did you line up the cam pullys as mines are out.

Anonymous
15-12-01, 07:36 PM
i never adjust the water pump

most vauxhall mechanics dont either

u slip the belt off and carefully lever it back on

Micky@novaload.net

Anonymous
15-12-01, 11:29 PM
lol@Micky.....that "never adjust the water pump" method is exactly what I did with mine last week :D

As for un-doing the crankshaft pulley, I found the best way to stop the engine turning was the put it in 5th gear, having the timing lines lined up more or less, then moving the car back a little until it wouldn't move any further (due to you now trying to turn the engine as you roll the car), then put the hand-brake on.
I could then put loads of force onto the pulley bolt without the engine turning, and off it came.
Off with the plastic cover, off with the old belt (bit or gentle prising with a screw driver), and on with the new, all without touching the water-pump.
I left it in gear as before to tighten it up again, and it worked fine. If you have it in first gear, the car will move very easily when turning the crank....you must be in fifth.
I then re-aligned the timing marks 'cos the pulley and cam and turned a little whilst tightening up the bottom pulley, and all was lined up as it should be.
Re-fitted the alternator belt, re-tighten the alternator mounting bolts, and put the air-box back....jobs a good 'un.