PDA

View Full Version : xe nova no spark

stelf2.0nova
08-04-07, 11:14 AM
can someone help me i have a 1.2spi with a redtop xe init and every thing is finished and wheni went to start it i ant getting a spark at king lead pleaase help i want this thing on road ;) ;) ;) :thumb:

Adam
08-04-07, 02:50 PM
Got a ECU light?
Got the black ignition live connected?

Is the fuel pump coming on when cranking?

stelf2.0nova
09-04-07, 10:37 AM
where would the ecu light be and i have the fuel pump on ignition. i have the black wire to the ignition yes.
on the plug to the coil there is four pins one should be ignition live,two are earth and there is one doing nothing should that be constant live
thanks
dan

stelf2.0nova
09-04-07, 03:40 PM
can some one help

Adam
09-04-07, 03:49 PM
The coil should be wired with the engine loom, so that shouldn't need any other wiring.
Dont have the fuel pump wired to an ignition live, the fuel pump relay is there for a reason. Does the fuel pump relay click when you start to crank the engine?

The ecu light is brown/blue wire iirc, or sometimes brown/white, from the ecu.
It needs joining to the ecu light on the dash(brown/blue)

stelf2.0nova
09-04-07, 04:54 PM
ok is the wire for the ecu light behind the dash with all the speedo clocks and if the ecu is not wired up thenthere would not be a spark am i right. the relay clicks once when i turn ignition on and i have not tried turning it over with the fuel pump connected
thanks

stelf2.0nova
09-04-07, 04:57 PM
where will i find the wire from the ecu for the light, is it on one of the little plugs next to it

Paul
09-04-07, 05:18 PM
wire the ecu temporarily straight to the battery you should hear the ecu click. do this with the black ignition live thats found on the engine loom. have you got connected the permanent ecu live? its a big thicker wire.

If you hear the ecu click, then the problem must lie within the wiring of the engine loom. The coil has one plug, and one earth, nothing else needs connecting to it. make sure the earth is tight and the coil plug is in there properly.

stelf2.0nova
09-04-07, 06:58 PM
ok lashednova are you the one with nova turbo.i have the black wire near coil lead to ignition live and the red one straight to battery.
the coil has one plug onit and that is it i cant see no earth any whereis it the bracket thats the earth. it is really doing my head. where should the ecu light come on

thanks dan

Adam
09-04-07, 07:26 PM
Do you have the ecu light wired up?

The ecu earths on the fuel rail, and then through the gearbox to chassis strap iirc.

stelf2.0nova
09-04-07, 07:36 PM
the wires you said i tried but there is still nothing and are the earth straps black.where would the ecu light come up it is doing my head. i have put the fuel pump on to relay andwhen you turn it over it clicks. should there be a earth strap from gearbox to chassey, cause i have one from gearbox to starter motor thanks for your informationit is slowly helping

dan

Paul
09-04-07, 08:06 PM
Yes I do have a Turbo. Right Lets start from scratch so we know what you've done.

What dials are you using?

On the plugs down by the ECU, there is a brown and blue (?) i think wire thats for the ECU light, if you have not wired this up to behind your dials, you will not have an ECU light. Its not essential and wont affect the running, however you will also not know what faults (if any you). So its and advisable thing to do seeing as it will literally take a matter of minutes.

The engine loom should have 0 earths coming from it to the battery.

The Engine loom from the back of the block, the one with the knock sensor on, that goes to the alternator whould have a thick red (not necessarilly red now though) wire that needs connecting to the live side of the battery. This also needs joing to the car loom, its colour for coulour.

The back side of the engine loom then connects to the main engine loom from a plug, on the gearbox side of the fuel rail loom.

The fuel rail or injector loom (black rectangular box, which clips onto the injectors) should have various plugs comin out of the back of the fuel rail loom in two places. Also in these 2 places there are earths to connect.
I think its one on the drivers side and two on the gearbox side. these bolt to earthing points inbetween the curls of the inlet manifold.

Further down the main engine loom, you will have the plug for the dizzy cap (if it has one) plug for the coil, and the thinish black wire which is the ECU ignition live. [NB: This is the wire that I advisedputting directly to the battery, and listening to see whether the ECU can be heard to click, indicating its turning on, and has power.]

The earth for the coil ishould be as far as i remember, connected to the back of the plug on the coil which you plug the engine loom into. Ensure both the earth and live on the coil are tight.

The last major bit of the engine loom is the bit that runs down to the AFM, cranksensor etc. There are no earths or lives for this bit.

You have a gearbox strap earth which is found in the passenger arch of the gearbox, and this needs earthing to the chassis, the standard place is on the NS chassis inner wing area in the engine bay.

Next you have the ECU area, there are 2/3 small box type things here, with wires coming from these back to the loom. This is where you find the ECU light wire ,brown and blue ,to connect to the dials. there are no lives or earths for this area.

For the fuel pump relay and octane switching relay you will probably have to look under the bonnet. there are no lives for this area, or earths.

Right by the battery you will have one fairly thick wire left, this is the ECU permanent live and needs connecting to your +ve terminal of the battery.

Just a sidenote to say the +ve terminal of the battery should have one more wire going to it, which is a thick red from the car loom, it runs from by the heater motor.

The -ve terminal of the battery should be earthed to the chassis, ensure this is a good earth of the car will not start. the need be no more eaths other than this one.

If you have no luck after checking this is all correct, your problem lies with either a poor iginition system, wet/dirty/dusty electrical plugs, leads split broken, poor contact points, **** king lead, fooked coil, break in wire in loom somewhere, ****e plugs, wet plugs, wrong firing order, king lead in wrong place on cap, ****e rotor arm. etc etc

stelf2.0nova
09-04-07, 08:21 PM
right i am using astra gte digi dials.

whenigot the engine there was no ignition leads or plugs so i bought new ones and i think they are in the right firing order.

i only live on canvey island so if i still cant get this thing sorted would you be able to come have a look your self. you took me out in your nova up southend once its blue ant it ,i was talking to you about i had a 1.4 corsa witha turbo conversion done to it

thanks

dan

stelf2.0nova
09-04-07, 08:22 PM
if you wouldcome over tohave a look just write down your mobile andif itsok to give you a buzz that would be superb

Paul
09-04-07, 08:22 PM
yes i remember, PM sent mate