PDA

View Full Version : whats the difference?

Nova_Tek
07-04-07, 11:44 PM
Just for general knowledge really, Dunno if this would count as a silly question but with apparently so many variations wanted to know what the difference was. I was looking for a part the other day and was shown a screen to check if it was the correct part, to my surprise I saw many engine codes for 1.2 Novas.

AFAIK there are 12S, 12ST, 12NV/NZ and probably a few more that I cant remember.

What are the differences in these engines if any i.e power or performance. I know the injection models were down on power compared to carbs.

Also what do these codes mean as TV mag doesnt make any sence on some of these letter codings

Thanx :thumb:

Adam
08-04-07, 01:08 AM
12ST-1.2 carb engine
C12NZ-1.2 SPi engine

Altho some 1.2 carb engines used SPI(nz) blocks,Lol.

Stuart
08-04-07, 08:52 AM
the NZ is "a completely different" engine to the others....get a haynes manual out to see the differences

macc nova
08-04-07, 11:21 AM
12nv is carb

Nova_Tek
08-04-07, 03:44 PM
Ok so between these carb engine was there any difference in performance or are they all the same?

The NZ is the injection model and only had ~45BHP.

Whats the T stand for on the 12ST. TV says its Turbo, I wish.

Adam
08-04-07, 03:52 PM
1.2 carb is 55bhp.
1.2spi is 45bhp.

The lower power of the spi motor is NOT down to it being spi, its down to other gay restrictions gm used.

The T stands for turbo on the 3 letter code, not two. I.e ST, S relates to the compression ratio, not idea what T means, but dont really matter. T relates to turbo when the code is LE T (compression ratio, multipoint injection, turbo)
If you get me.

Stuart
08-04-07, 04:09 PM
the 12nv was an "opel" enging that was 2-3bhp down on the 12ST, but had a touch more torque some how..... well that is according to the autodata book ive got lol

Adam
08-04-07, 04:12 PM
The 12nv used the spi block iirc.
When the carb engines were ceasing production and changing to spi, so i guessed they built a few with the newer 1200spi blocks.

Nova_Tek
08-04-07, 04:19 PM
1.2 carb is 55bhp.
1.2spi is 45bhp.

The lower power of the spi motor is NOT down to it being spi, its down to other gay restrictions gm used.

The T stands for turbo on the 3 letter code, not two. I.e ST, S relates to the compression ratio, not idea what T means, but dont really matter. T relates to turbo when the code is LE T (compression ratio, multipoint injection, turbo)
If you get me.

Yeh I know what you mean about the three codes bu t the only letter code that came up was T for turbo which my car is far from lol

Wonder what it means hmmmm :confused:

Maybe Tractor :D

Lee
08-04-07, 04:26 PM
There was also a 12GV pushrod fitted to oversea's corsa A's IIRC, just to add to the confusion.

Ive done a bit of digging, for some reason the only difference on a list ive found between the ST and other 1.2's is a mention of Aircon??

And Stu, your right, the ST is listed as a 40bhp output, which may explain the Aircon mention. It would need slightly more oomph to keep it going PMSL

Adam
08-04-07, 04:32 PM
Maybe aircon option abroad...

Nova_Tek
08-04-07, 04:37 PM
There was also a 12GV pushrod fitted to oversea's corsa A's IIRC, just to add to the confusion.

Ive done a bit of digging, for some reason the only difference on a list ive found between the ST and other 1.2's is a mention of Aircon??

And Stu, your right, the ST is listed as a 40bhp output, which may explain the Aircon mention. It would need slightly more oomph to keep it going PMSL

12GV was another one I aw on the parts list I took a look at.

40BHP at wheels 55BHP at flywheel?

Lee
08-04-07, 04:38 PM
40 at fly i think you'll find lol

Adam
08-04-07, 04:40 PM
1.2OHV in mk1 astra i think. Completely different to ohc's.

Lee
08-04-07, 04:43 PM
1.2OHV in mk1 astra i think. Completely different to ohc's.

Ive got a listing saying it was fitted to Opel corsa A's. Much like the ST, they were probably reserved for the overseas climates like you said.

Mission now is to see if we can find a Corsa A with aircon lol

Nova_Tek
08-04-07, 04:44 PM
40 at fly i think you'll find lol

Surely cant be down on power then a 1.2i.

the 12ST is claimed to be 40kW output which is 55BHP.

Found out what the T denotes: 'Power output variation'

Adam
08-04-07, 04:46 PM
Yeah, the 12st is a 1.2 carb engine, which had 55bhp.

Lee
08-04-07, 04:47 PM
Surely cant be down on power then a 1.2i.

the 12ST is claimed to be 40kW output which is 55BHP.

Found out what the T denotes: 'Power output variation'

That makes sence, it did just say 40. i hate the poxy eurofication of power output. Mate of mine the other day was telling me a torque figure which i thought was awesome till he told me it was in Newtonmeters. :wtf:

I dont have any smallblock power knowledge, of which im very proud lol

stv-b16a
08-04-07, 05:51 PM
come on lads! i was sure it was to do with differing compression ratios. im guessing for different boxes ie. torque for the four speed box and less so for the five speed. and then diffs between wr and cr boxes

Adam
08-04-07, 05:55 PM
come on lads! i was sure it was to do with differing compression ratios. im guessing for different boxes ie. torque for the four speed box and less so for the five speed. and then diffs between wr and cr boxes
Eh? what is?

Gearbox doesn't relate to engine code.

stv-b16a
08-04-07, 06:02 PM
no but different engines will have different specific outputs depending on which gearbox they are loaded with. that is if gm have bothered to do the sums. as i often say i could quite possibly talking ****e.

please back me up someone.

i enjoy a smoke of hashish

Lee
08-04-07, 06:15 PM
Nope, cant see that happening at all.

stv-b16a
08-04-07, 06:26 PM
eh why not

Jon_nova1
08-04-07, 09:11 PM
because the gearbox has its own code, the different codes are pretty much carb and single point injection, i wouldn't be sure about the third one, maybe a mark 1/2 engine, one with an auto tensioner, one without?

mowgli
08-04-07, 11:02 PM
the 12s was the old pushrod ohv engine (like the old 1.0 nova)
the 12st is the ohc engine (like the 1.3)
the others are just later variations that have different bore/stroke but less power.

Adam
08-04-07, 11:08 PM
no but different engines will have different specific outputs depending on which gearbox they are loaded with. that is if gm have bothered to do the sums. as i often say i could quite possibly talking ****e.

please back me up someone.

i enjoy a smoke of hashish
Gearbox type dont effect engine output.