PDA

View Full Version : cam belt snapped eeek!!

Anonymous
13-12-01, 05:00 PM
Hows this for lucky. Yesterday I drove from walsall to coventry. This morning I drove from coventry to london, picked something up and drove back from london to walsall. just as I pull onto my estate my cam belt snaps!!!!! Im glad it held out!

anyway. What do I need to do to replace it. I know I obviously have to put a new one on but do I have to get the timing done as I did try to restart the engine several times (before I relased the cam belt had snapped).

Anonymous
13-12-01, 05:04 PM
what engine is it?

2.0 16v on it's way soon!!! (again!!!!) :)

Anonymous
13-12-01, 05:29 PM
Nova 1.4 SRi

Anonymous
13-12-01, 06:06 PM
u checked ur valves mate cause if u were tryin to turn it over with out a cam belt god knows wat mite of appened i did literly one second turn of the key and snapped 3valves and a few followers:O

Anonymous
13-12-01, 06:46 PM
ouch!that can cost a shit load to sort if you not know a man who can

Like my old grandad says aways change UR cam belt every 50k no matter if looks fine or not!U just don't know.

Year timming everything just have it all checked or the forcast could be blue clouds over your car for life!

Anonymous
13-12-01, 07:03 PM
50k? i thought it was less than that?

Anonymous
13-12-01, 07:35 PM
My cam belt was 8000 miles. and you should change it every 30k. The reason it snapped I think was because id just changed the thermostat which required the cam belt to be removed. I guess I didnt titen it up enough. Oh well. Whats the worse case scenario and how easy is it too fix, where would I get the parts from and no body say SCRAPPY cause their crap and they never have anything that I can use on my nova.

Anonymous
13-12-01, 07:36 PM
I have yet to see a scrappy around here that has an injection nova. guess im just a snob

Anonymous
13-12-01, 07:42 PM
Ive had an inspiration. my cam belt has got a cover around it (I guess to stop cats, birds and other assorted road animals hitting it when you run them over). When I took the cover off to see if the cam belt had snapped the belt was still attached to all necessary cogs as the cover prevented it from falling off. Can I assume that it is a safe bet that because the belt was still around the pulleys my engine will be free from damage?

Anonymous
13-12-01, 07:59 PM
So did the belt actually snap?

Novaloader Formally Known as Cheese

Anonymous
13-12-01, 10:39 PM
yes the belt snapped but was still in place around the pulleys

Anonymous
13-12-01, 10:51 PM
On a SRI the cam belt is on a auto tensioner you dont have to tighten anything up it just does it for you! So fuck knows what you have done m8! Rick

They say "good things come to those who wait" and me and John have waited longer than most!

Anonymous
13-12-01, 11:17 PM
I was under the impression that you adjusted the water pump to tighten the cam.. mmm just as long as the inside of the engine is fine I aint fussed

Anonymous
13-12-01, 11:25 PM
on the subject, where can i get a water pump from for a 1.3sr? without going to a scrappy.

Anonymous
14-12-01, 02:34 AM
Try Just Vauxhall or whatever it's called.....it's next door to Wicker tyres in sheff....just round the corner from Hartwell's (Vauxhall dealer), and they only sell parts for Vauxhalls.

If you don't know where it is, I'll give you directions....it's quite easy to get to from the Meadowhall area ;)

There's another vaux-only place near there too, but I can't think of where it is exactly.....it's somewhere in with all the factories down Attercliffe.

Anonymous
14-12-01, 02:51 AM
I know where hartwells is, not far from meadowhall and the arena etc. but not sure abooot this vauxhalls place?
Wicker tyres rings a wotsit but not sure exactly where that is either, although from the name i assume near the arches. :D
email me directions if you would rich mate.

The name is misleading - I am not wise, or wooden.

Anonymous
14-12-01, 12:47 PM
If you do need a need head/valves, "Just Novas" (01159461105) are very good. I got a new head complete with valves etc for ?50 plus ?10 P&P.

Anonymous
14-12-01, 09:51 PM
Unless the 1.4SRi was re-designed to be a "safe" engine which I doubt very much you will need to get the head taken off. The reason is that when the valves are pressed down by the cams to open they reach as far as the top of the pistons. This isn't a problem with the belt on and all timed up OK but if the belt breaks the cam stops dead. Some valves are left wide open and the pistons which are still flying up and down bash into a few of the protuding valves breaking/ bending them. If you're lucky the head and valve guides won't have been damaged otherwise its a fresh head. Its sounds like you need to get to a garage unless you've got a mechanic m8