PDA

View Full Version : changing lifters

Anonymous
13-12-01, 04:34 PM
well the time as cum and im gonna change my hydralic lifters. one of them is quite noisey, also i rang up regal and i told them i had valve bounce, we discussed things and the bloke cum to the conclusion of if i change my lifters then it should be ok or should it? Well im gonna do it tis weekend look straight forward take of my head bolts remove the camshaft housing and camshaft then change them yes. The thing is though surly i wont have to change my head gasket cause im not taking the head off, just takin the bolts off and cam housing. Is there anyfing i should know b4 i start it o sat hoping to fin it in few hours.

Anonymous
13-12-01, 04:49 PM
it might be a good idea to do the head gasket while you have it all off
and get the head skimed

i aint laughing no more and those stupid little faces can fuck off !

http://www.novaload.net/content/upload/Pb270012(breeny).jpg

Anonymous
13-12-01, 05:23 PM
what engine is it on ?

if you are undoing the head bolts you need to replace the head gasket and the head bolts !!

The bolts stretch and tension and compress the head gasket, once you have loosened them you have to replace both. its not too expensive, about ?20 for gasket and about ?15 for bolts.

:D:D 2.0l 8v. It actually works !!!! :D:D

Anonymous
13-12-01, 06:09 PM
i got a blydenstien B+ head and the cars a 1.4sr. wat will appen if i dont change the head gasket cause the bolts av been of b4 and the head gasket aint bin changed and its bin ok. dont really want to wap the head off.

Anonymous
13-12-01, 06:53 PM
If you don't change the gasket and bolts, then the gasket is likely to fail, and there is a chance the bolts could snap when you refit them.. not really worth the risk of snapping the thread of the bolt off in the block for the sake of a few quid.. Get the new bits mate, it'll only take an extra 15 minutes to change the gasket anyway.

Ben :)

Novaloader Formally Known as Cheese

Anonymous
13-12-01, 07:48 PM
i snapped a rocker, bent a vlave and cracked a guide on my 1.4 sr head , i know this is a different case to u but, if u take the head off to change the gasket, to tension the belt up again is a right bastard. there is a special spanner which fits onto the back of the water pump and this is how u tension it. me and my mate didnt have this tool and spent ages tryin to do the belt. we did do it without the tool, but if u can get 1 then it makes it easier. also your water pump might leake once u've disturbed it, they say you should change the 'o' ring on the pump if this happens. Yeah u do need to put new head bolts as matey mentioned, mine were ?10 from vauxhall, and u get a head gasket set, which i belive was ?40. by the way always put genuine gaskets on, they're a bit more on price but will last longer and wont give u grief. Stick a new cam belt on it while u r at it as well, dependin on what yours is like mate! cheers

Anonymous
14-12-01, 09:31 PM
I have reservations about it being yur lifters. They are self adjusting with the pressure of oil and are very simple in design. They don't tend to wear out although they can get gummed up with crud. I would try some engine oil flush first as if they are noisey it could be that they are running short of oil. Be careful with the flush - i've heard that debris released can end up blocking the oil pickup pipe. In any event if you haven't ever cleaned your pickup pipe take the sump off and do it 1st after a flush b4 you start messing with the lifters.
I mentioned about going to a rolling road b4. The reason I sed this was that I had a similar prob and on the rolling road we found that flames came out of no.3 carb indicating that the valve bounce was to do with that pot. I wouldn't have found that out without going on the r.road as you have no way of telling when driving. In my case the cam and the cam housing was slightly bent.
You can take the cam out to get at the lifters without undoing the head bolts if you get a special valve compressing kit otherwise its as the others say