PDA

View Full Version : Tell the difference 1.3 1.4 SR Cam

johnny27
07-04-07, 08:17 AM
Having trouble with my Corsa C12NZ engine, same as nova one. I have a few mods done to the engine but nothing serious. A while back i fitted a 285 kent cam to it, engine seemed to run fine afterwards, attempted to fit the 1600 spi manifold and 1.8 TB, but had to give up after spending hours trying to tighten one of the bottom manifold studs, because the stupid EGR valve port is greatly in the way, and the corsa bay setup is tight for room under the inlet, so i cound'nt use a socket. Anyhow i've got the original TB and manifold back on, but lately the engine has serious flat spots when warm and also has very poor idle problems.

I'm going to switch the cams to see if i can get it to run rite. The problem is, i am a fanatic nova parts keeper like most of us, and i have sitting in a box in the shed a 1300 SR cam and beside it a 1400 SR cam.

I want to fit the 1400 cam, instead of orginal 1200 item, but i can't identify which is the 1400 cam apart from the 1300 one. The dizzy drive is the same on both cams and there are no stamps or markings on either cams. Please can anyone give me any info, tips or advice so i can tell which is the 1400 cam? Thanks alot for reading.
Johnny

Welsh Dan
07-04-07, 09:33 AM
The 1400 one will give a bit more lift. Get the vernier caliper out :).

johnny27
07-04-07, 09:41 AM
Have'nt got one, nor heard or seen of them.
Is it silly to ask if a measuring tape would show up any more lift? Or is the extra lift margin so small (e.g 1.5mm) that it would be hard to detect it?

Welsh Dan
07-04-07, 09:43 AM
You'll really need a vernier caliper or a micrometer to tell, its only around 1mm difference, possibly slightly less.

Vernier caliper:
http://www.triginstruments.co.nz/catalog/images/caliper_digvernier.jpg

Micrometer:
http://demo1.physics.wisc.edu/MDemos/Pics/B1p2.gif

Adam
07-04-07, 12:00 PM
If it doesn't have a pin dizzy it aint a 1.4sr cam.
Only 1.2/1.3 have slot drive.

Adam
07-04-07, 01:16 PM
Out of interest, how does the 285 cam run on the spi? Any flat spots?
Edit-Reading the post again, it sounds like its given you a lumpy idle?

I wouldn't worry about which cam your fitting, 1.3 and 1.4 cams are pretty much identical. Both should have an idenitication letter stamped on the end plate.

I tried my AST2 on my 1400 spi, and it pretty much died, would fire but not run,Lol. And was firing up through the throttle body.

The 1600spi inlet is easy fit, fitted mine in about an hour...
Blocked the egr with a plate and two bolts, and some silicone sealent.