PDA

View Full Version : lowering questions

Anonymous
08-12-01, 07:11 PM
Soon, i will be lowering my SR 40mm, and i will have a BAT front bumper and 16 inch alloys.i was just wondering if i did this, will i be able to go over speedbumps?if not, how much can i lower it, to still be able to go over them?i cant really avoid them bcoz i hav sum small bumps outside my college.any help appreciated.

Anonymous
09-12-01, 10:46 AM
but you havent said how high the speedbumps are!

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
09-12-01, 11:43 AM
just reverse over em

"I'm a junky with a monkey"

Anonymous
09-12-01, 04:24 PM
Go over them diagonally, that works, so one wheel is on bump and other on road

Anonymous
09-12-01, 05:58 PM
yup i used to do that in the white one

worked for me fine

Anonymous
09-12-01, 07:19 PM
well i dont know exactly.at a guess i'd say about 3-4 inches high.wot do u reckon???

Anonymous
09-12-01, 07:22 PM
3-4 inches...I'd never get over those :O

Anonymous
09-12-01, 11:22 PM
let is scrape thats what i used to do when i had 2"-3" clearance

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

2.0 16v back soon :D

Anonymous
10-12-01, 01:55 AM
Actually, I could probably go off-roading in the GTE (haven't lowered it yet :p)....I was talking about the Antibes above.
I let it scrape too, but since my splitter cost me nothing, is wasn't too worried about it getting scratched...you might be!

I'd say with 40mm drop and 16's, you might be ok...ish. How low is that front bumper over the standard SR bumper?

On my Antibes, it was only lowered 40mm (supposed to be 40 but I'm sure it was lower) and I had 15" alloys with 195-45 tyres, plus a 1" deep splitter, and my front rubbed on some speed-bumps with it only having about . With 16's though fitted with 195-45 tyres, you gonna have more grown-clearance 'cos you've got an extra inch on the rolling diameter, hence 1/2 inch higher which could make quite a difference.

Anonymous
10-12-01, 08:32 AM
I have the Batsport front bumper on my GSi, which is lowered 40mm. Also have 16" wheels and the ground clearance is about 1.5 - 2.0 inches. It rubs on all speedbumps unless you go over them at about 2mph! which is a pain when there's traffic behind, but the look of the front of the car is well worth it:).

Mike C

Anonymous
10-12-01, 07:03 PM
ok, im going 2 ask a very stupid question, but if the speedbumps are too high, will it just scrape the underside of the bumper or will it crack/shatter the bumper?i dont mind having a couple of scratches on the underside of the bumper, i just dont want crackes or anything.thanx for the help!!

Anonymous
11-12-01, 01:29 PM
depends depends depends! lol

www.RoyBacer.co.uk
Ged@RoyBacer.co.uk

Red mk2 on white GSi 15s

Anonymous
12-12-01, 08:35 AM
So long as you are really careful and go really slow over them, you will only scrape the underside of the bumper on tall speedbumps. Got to watch potholes and any sudden inclines etc in the roads surface though as I have found from experience! Currently remounting the bumper on one side due to my local mechanic driving the car onto his driveway forwards. The bumper hit the curb and came off at one side. Little bit of P38 and should be good as new.

Mike C

Anonymous
12-12-01, 10:01 AM
the splitter on the white nova was 1" from the deck. i did have a crash damged gsi front bumper on there once but it was always smashing when the splitter hit the floor, so i replaced it with a strong plastic one

u should be ok as long as u dont tear arse round the cumbrian fells for a day

when i went over to see sarah we had this little conversation

me|any coppers round here
her|none u NEVER see them
me|nice watch this stupid driving
her|u dont even see that many cars on the roads
i was flatout, sideways everywhere and small hills were used to throw the car about tarmac rally style.
everytime i came over a large hill the splitter would come crashing down and splat all the horse and cow shit all over the place (which was a bit ov a pain to clean off!)

was stupid but it had to be done, thems the best roads i have ever driven on, would be even better if i had ov knew them, the splitter took a massive battering though (the underside started to peel away as i had worn through on both corners)

anything fibreglass would have died

Anonymous
13-12-01, 01:10 AM
lol micky u r a class A nutta m8 :)

=======================
If there's grass on the pitch... :D