PDA

View Full Version : 2lt 8v engine into a nova gsi???????

benny f gsi,n it
05-04-07, 03:01 PM
hey i am needing oppionins on a engine transplant, i have got a 1990 nova gsi 1.6 and am havin trouble with the engine and i have a mate who is trying to sell a astra sri 2lt 8v for cheap money and was wondering what i will need to do the transplant and if all the engine mounts are the same????????

craig green
05-04-07, 03:04 PM
You will need to get a mount kit from the likes of Chris Asley motorsport or similar.
This will deal with the gearbox spacing etc.

The other issue is with shafts. Its likely you will need the 2.0 shafts aswell.

Fit the 2.0 with the gearbox it came with & connect a few wires, job done.

Not as straight forward, but it could be a lot harder tbh (if it was into a carb or SPI car)

loggyboy
05-04-07, 03:34 PM
Being an early GSi you may be lucky enough to have 22spline drive shafts, which means you just need mk2 cav 1.6 inner CVs to get the f20 gearbox to fit, however if they arenot 22 spline then these will need to be sourced from a GTE/Diesel nova, or you will need to buy the mtech/mann or similar conversion shafts and hubs.

Lee H
05-04-07, 03:54 PM
Not worth the time and money to be fair, its only 15bhp more than a GSi engine and with the money spent fitting it you could get another GSi engine.

benny f gsi,n it
05-04-07, 06:30 PM
ok could i use the 2lt 8v engine blaock and keep my 1.6 gearbox without buying a spacer kit, and could i not use the astra drive shafts and hubs with astra sri brakes on it?
Ben