PDA

View Full Version : cam??

greg1.4
04-04-07, 06:08 PM
well i had a serious knockng noise coming from my engine (1300 sr).

So i had a compression test on it just to see what she was like. It read between 135 and 140 on every cylinder.

So i then took the rocker cover off and had a look inside. We found the cam had marks in it and scrapes. when you run your finger along it she rough and could feel the scores in the cam.

What other damage would this have done? also is this the knocking noise? Its like a ticking noise actually. Made me think it was the tappets (probably both).

i am thinking about getting a cam kit in the sr engine. while i am at it i am fitting my headgasket kit. what else would you advise?

how much would a camshaft kit be for a 1300 sr?

Cheers,
Greg

Adam
04-04-07, 06:12 PM
Scored cam, will have scored the rockers too. A worn cam can cause tapping.

Sometimes theres nova cam kits on ebay for about ?15/?20.

greg1.4
04-04-07, 06:15 PM
so what all would i need to replace if the cam is scored? Might aswell do it properly.

Adam
04-04-07, 06:28 PM
Cam, rockers,thrust pads and lifters worth doing too.

greg1.4
04-04-07, 06:55 PM
what parts will come in a cam shaft kit?

what tools will i need to get/what will i have to do to replace the head gasket, valve stem oil seals and a camshaft kit?

Adam
04-04-07, 07:01 PM
Valve spring compressor
Torque wrench
Sockets for head bolts etc.

greg1.4
04-04-07, 07:05 PM
cheers. what will i need to do/remember when i am fitting my parts. I dont know much about the inside of engines.:confused: lol

Any hints/tips etc?

Cheers,
Greg

greg1.4
04-04-07, 07:12 PM
i was told i needed a special tool to do it? whats that? valve spring compressor?

Adam
04-04-07, 07:23 PM
You wont need that tool if your removing the head.

You need a valve spring compressor to remove the valves to change the stem seals.

Drain the cooling system before you start.
Make sure you do the headbolts to the right torque, and make sure the head and block surface is clean for the new gasket. Haynes has loosening/tightening sequences.
You'll also need re-fill your coolant system.

greg1.4
04-04-07, 08:54 PM
thanks alot mate!:thumb: