PDA

View Full Version : engine problem still

SRlew
04-04-07, 12:05 PM
right i still got this problem. i tried spraying some easy start around the seals etc on the carbs and inlet and it didnt work.

its realy p***ing me off. when i start it in the mornings its real bad, like jumping/hesitating. and if i accelerate, the revs start dropping sometimes, but its realy just real jumpy, then as it warms up it gets rid of the violent jerks but still jumps alot

i went down a dual carridge way yesterday, floored it in 3rd it jumped then bout 3.5k it stopped jumping and it shifted then lol but then higher rpm i actualy felt the car like not pulling anymore, like it just wouldnt :confused:

then after a drive i stopped off somewere, started it reversed it cut out then it wouldnt start, took me about 5 mins to get it started.

does it still sound like an air leak lol

cheers again lew

tom reid
04-04-07, 04:25 PM
Hmm, if it's not an air leak then maybe need to get the carbs balanced, but only if they're correctly choked and jetted, get the car to someone local and have a proper set up, you won't regret it.

Adam
04-04-07, 04:35 PM
Maybe the idle/progression holes are blocked..
Which would explain why at 3.5k rpm it clears up(as main circuit takes over)

tom reid
04-04-07, 04:47 PM
Don't the idle jets stop working at about 1200rpm?

SRlew
05-04-07, 12:03 PM
ad where are the idle/progression holes?
easy to get to etc?

carbs have been balanced, and i still dont want to take it to a R/R untill i know exactly what the problem is, i just havent got money to waste on getting there forking out money and have it still doing it or i could of done it my self etc etc

cheers lew

big gra
05-04-07, 12:31 PM
i have that problem with mine, but its because i have an auto choke instead of the manual, mine feels dead jerky setting off bt once in high revs it settles down!

Adam
05-04-07, 01:00 PM
Don't the idle jets stop working at about 1200rpm?
Nope
The idle jets also run the progression circuit up to the main jet stage(around 3k rpm)
At idle one hole supplys fuel, above idle the same jet supplys fuel through the progression holes.
Lew-There should be a screw cap that covers the holes,assuming there layout is the same as dcoe.

SRlew
05-04-07, 02:49 PM
will the caps just be on top of each carb then?

Adam
05-04-07, 06:36 PM
Yeah,the brass caps are on the carb, towards the idle mix screws.
http://www.stotti.freeserve.co.uk/Photos/Weber-progdrill.jpg

Im not sure if dellorts are laid out the same tho, they should be i'd guess.
Remove the caps, and have a look at the progression hole drillings, make sure there clean.

Does it accelerate smoothly if you gently go up the rev range(not flooring it)
May also be accelerator pump jets blocked and not richening the mix when you suddenly open the throttle.

When did it start doing it first? after you re-fitted them to the inlet etc? It must of been something you disturbed if so....

mikey14sr
05-04-07, 06:45 PM
Progression holes are in the same places, generally three holes on normal types, five holes on "emmissions" type.

Adam
05-04-07, 06:54 PM
Shine a small torch through the barrel and see if you can see like through the progression holes.

SRlew
05-04-07, 07:04 PM
right so they just unscrew and then i check the holes right.

yeh just started doing it after i done that gasket ad.

it does it if i drive slowly aswell like, but you dont notice it as much.

also say if i floor it in 3rd, it goes past the jumpy point, then its good, then i can feel it backing off (like not pulling almost like iv just let go of the accelerator)

SRlew
05-04-07, 07:06 PM
also forgot to add,

in forth i notice if i floor it around 4k rpm it just backfires pretty much (can hear it spitting and banging out the back)

SRlew
09-04-07, 05:14 PM
right started it earlier for the first time since saturday. went for a drive and if i kept it say 3 - 4k rpm, in say 3rd, itd like cut out, for a real 4 or 5 seconds like revs and engine noise drop, then it'd suddenly come back again then do it again etc, but that was when it was still warming up. wasnt doing it just now when it was warm.

any one herd of this.

Mikey_J
09-04-07, 05:35 PM
Im no expert but id say the carbs need setting up properly. I had a similar problem when i had my 1st nova it was only a 1.2 carb but i stuck a KnN on it and didnt get it set up till a week or so later and it ran cack and felt really restricted when you tried to accelerate.

mikey14sr
09-04-07, 06:13 PM
Sounds like it's getting a sudden dump of fuel, I'd find a good rr tuner and once it's set right, don't touch the carbs at all.

Adam
09-04-07, 06:21 PM
He hasn't touched the carb screws?
Just removed the carbs and re-fitted. Only the idle mix, and balance screws can be changed... Neither of which will be having much effect at 4k rpm.

If it were me, i'd get the carbs off, remove the main/accel/idle jets/air correctors, and clean them all out.
And also clean out the fuel filters in the carb fuel entry.

And try that.