PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 16v Engine

Anonymous
21-11-01, 09:01 AM
Anyone know if it's worth getting the engine bay seam welded for a 1.6 16v outta a early corsa GSi?

Anonymous
21-11-01, 09:50 AM
always worth doing if the engines out of the car, it doesn't take long and gives you that litttle bit more reasurance.

:D 2.0l 8v. It will work one day !!! :D

Anonymous
21-11-01, 10:43 AM
there is absolutaly no point even if you will be running throttle bodies but if u can get it done very cheap i suppose its nice to to able to say uv had it done!!

Anonymous
21-11-01, 11:02 AM
No point what so ever? Will it improve handling if it is seam welded? Because I am getting this conversion done next year (may even attempt this myself) I know the 1.6 16v is 50Kgs lighter than the 2.0 16v does anyone know how much HEAVYIER the 1.6 16v is than the 1.6 8v GTE or GSi lump?

Anonymous
21-11-01, 11:39 AM
I don't know how much heavier it is, and its not really necessary to do the welding. However if the engine is out of the car and you have the expertise or money to pay someone to do the welding/strengthening then I'd do it.

Wahst the engine bay like, is there much rust ?

Also you never know, in another years time you might want to stick a 2.0l in there and its all done for you. You can never say that being extra cautious isn't worth it.

Anonymous
21-11-01, 01:20 PM
i think its about 10Kg heavier than the 8v. And a very easy swop. if u already have a gte engine in there its very simple to do!

Anonymous
21-11-01, 01:45 PM
I would say that if you either:
1. put a much heavier engine in(2.0l or greater)
2. intend to do motorsport.
3. have well rusty seams, engine bracket mounting points, turrets etc.
its worth it.
If none of these but you are still uneasy put in a front turret brace.

Anonymous
21-11-01, 02:14 PM
Seam welding will increase the rigidity in the front end of the car. So the steering will be more responve and handling better, as the front end is a lot stiffer.

Anonymous
21-11-01, 03:01 PM
I have a 1.2 in there at the moment, I understand it use's the GTE driveshafts, same emgine mounts etc... I am fine with that side, it's just wiring up the ECU which I couldn't do... how much do you reckon some one would charge for this... There is no visable rust around the engine bay... once the engine is out I will take a closer look, it will be for road use only so it should be OK

dan

Anonymous
21-11-01, 03:53 PM
we got the message the first time !

Anonymous
21-11-01, 06:26 PM
You shouldn't need to seam weld for a 1.6 16v unless your engine bay is particually rusty or the shell has been crash/repaired.

Personally I havn't seem welded mine or fitted the strenghtening kit as doing this hinders the crumple zones built into the Nova's wings, so if you do have a front end smack the damage can transfer to the roof!!!

Dec

Anonymous
21-11-01, 06:46 PM
wiring is easy really. Do u have a 1.2, or 1.2i?
If u have a 1.2 u will need a gte feul tank/pump/lines. theres like 5-6 wires to connect, thats it.
If u have a 1.2i u can keep the tank+lines, but i beleive u must fit a different main loom as the 1.2i main loom is a git to work on!

Anonymous
22-11-01, 08:55 AM
it's a 1.2 non injection.... Is the wiring just a case of matching colour with colour?

Anonymous
22-11-01, 12:52 PM
if you have the engine loom for the engine then you only need to add a supply from the battery an ingnition line and the fuel pump wires. other than that its jsut a case of "ohh plug, ohh ecu. umm job done". will cost you (to do yourself) bugger all, will cost ????? if you get some one else to do it.

Dave Pearce, hmm he mixes like a man with no hands

Anonymous
13-12-01, 06:20 PM
why do places all ways charge so much for somthing that simple??