PDA

View Full Version : Rotor arm damage + other Q's

Nova_Tek
02-04-07, 08:32 PM
Set out to change my alternator and belt today as its one of the areas causing engine noise, noisy bearings. Once changed started her up and it was qiuter but still noisy.

I had a listen to the distibutor whilst the engine was running and noticed qiute a bit of noise. Obvioulsy im not expecting it to be as noisy as a cloud lol but still was a bit rattly. I took it apart and found the rotor arm damaged. The centre part that carries the spark on the metal contact was snapped dunno how it was running but it was. I also noticed some brown flakey dust in the distibutor cap. The gear in which the rotor arm sits seemed to be a bit lose. Dunno if this is normal or not. And the dust seemed to be coming off this part as the linkages behind the rotor arm seemed a but crusty and brown.

I changed it all and it seems a bit better not as noisy. Is it safe to spary a bit of WD40 onto the linkages behind the rotor arm, it looks very dry and rusty thought it mite help quietn things down?

Also I took the Cam belt cover partly off to check condition of cam belt, it seems to be ok but I noticed the cam belt had a greasy substance on it. Is the cam belt ment to be lubed? I wouldnt have thought so :confused: Next up is the water pump as the rest of the noise seems to be coming from there and the cam belt at the same time.

Dan 130
02-04-07, 09:08 PM
if your water pump is noisy it wants changing and is there any possbility that the **** on the cambelt is coolant from the water pump just a thought

Nova_Tek
02-04-07, 09:11 PM
Could be but I dont think it is as I dont loose coolant. Think the water pump is just the bearings that are shot as it doesnt leak and the cooling system is efficient.

Brinigin it down to a mechanic mate of mine for him to chek it out.

Jon_nova1
02-04-07, 10:33 PM
like i said the other day, see if you can move the water pump side to side in its housing, as for the rotor arm, its wear and tear by the sounds, but no its snapped off i doubt it'll work again lol there is usually some play in the sticky out metal thingy lol

Nova_Tek
02-04-07, 11:46 PM
Yeh I know the metal thing is springy normally but it snapped off. A new one is fitted anyway.

So is it ok to spray the bits behind the rotor arm with WD40? Looks like it could do with some lube :D

Welsh Dan
03-04-07, 10:15 AM
WD40 has a tendancy to dry out and cause things to stick if used as a lube. Its a water repellant really.

craig green
03-04-07, 10:32 AM
Try GT85 (bike shop) instead of WD40. Wiping inside the cap & the outsides of the leads can help eliminate damp which is no bad thing.

Cam belt should have no oily traces. Possible snapping as a result. I'd stick a water pump & belt on it tbh as a peace of mind, for what they cost.

Nova_Tek
03-04-07, 07:14 PM
Took it down to my mechanic mate and he said hes almost certain its a waterpump. So got a new one today for 18quid plus getting a new cam belt aswell. That should all be changed within the next week so hopefully im looking forward to a damn quiet engine.

As for the WD40 bit, I see what you're saying. What about other types of lube, i.e. 3 in 1 oil spray, copper grease spray etc? Its dead dry in there and id feel a lot more reassured with some lubing :D What would be the best to use?

Thanx

Jon_nova1
03-04-07, 09:32 PM
id say put some grease in there

Nova_Tek
03-04-07, 09:44 PM
Sounds like a plan, gonna go off to get some spray grease tomorrow. Wanna get it in all the nooks and crannies.

Cheers