PDA

View Full Version : fittng new lifters and cams

octane
02-04-07, 07:11 PM
Hoping someone can give me a bit of help here. Im good with spanners and stuff, just not good at the technical side of things.
The head of my c20xe is stripped and i've got a box of new bits to fit, lifters, cams and pulleys.

problem is the crank pulley has no markings on it ,( is not a standard oe jobbie).

so bearing in mind that it has no cams or lifters in the head at the moment, how do i go about fitting the new lifters and cams, should the piston 1 ( assuming piston 1 is nearist crank pulley end) be at the top or bottom of its stroke or all 4 at same height?

Sirnixalot
02-04-07, 09:35 PM
lol if you can get all 4 pistons at the same height then somethings broken

cylinder #1 should be at top dead center, the piston should be at the top, you can "measure" this by sticking a socket extention doen in the plug hole and rotating the crank, when the extention is at its highest level it will be at TDC

not the most accurate way but, not sure how else you can do it

Jon_nova1
02-04-07, 10:29 PM
no if the pistons are at the same height it just means they'll be halfway up the cylinders :p

as said above, put it together and put a socket extention/screwdriver down the spark socket, when it stops going up the piston is at TDC where it should be, also if you take the crank pulley off you might see timing marks on the cambelt pulley, maybe an arrow that points downwards at TDC

Sirnixalot
02-04-07, 10:58 PM
i thought he meant at the top of the cylinders lol

coombsey
03-04-07, 10:08 PM
take the alternator pully off the bottom of the engine then there will be a notch in the crank pully and there is a notch in the lip where the sump bolts upto