PDA

View Full Version : FAO MC

Anonymous
05-12-01, 03:35 PM
alrite mate as u know i gotta a set of 40's on my sr but the thing is theyve still got the standard trumpets on them and there bout 2 1/2 inch long, therefore when i put my socks over them, theres only bout 1 inch of filter left. i heard sumfin like ur filter size should be 2 and 1/2 times the lenght of ur trumpet is this rite? im thinkin of gettin 16mm trumpets so then ill av about 3inch of filter being used would this be better, and will it make a diff, cause if it dont i wont bother wasting my money and ill just leave um as they are. Wat lenght trumpets u got? cheers.

Anonymous
05-12-01, 05:01 PM
dont use filters, simple solution :D

Anonymous
05-12-01, 09:33 PM
I've been told that if you shorten the trumpets you tend to increase top end power at the expense of mid range and vice versa. You are right to worry about the space behind the trumpets once the socks are on. Going for the shorter trumpets will aleviate the problem. The differences detailed above aren't large so you probably will find all is OK. Neither MC or I run filters as it drowns out all the various carbs noises that we love too much. We really ought to tho'

Anonymous
05-12-01, 09:46 PM
why can't u have curved trumpets?

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

2.0 16v back soon :D

Anonymous
05-12-01, 09:56 PM
yea, u can have a musical imstrument behind your engine, get a trombone, so u can ajust the length as u feel, get a different engine note, and change the mid/top end setup as you feel like!! :P

Anonymous
05-12-01, 09:59 PM
i wonder if they make a one that sounds like a fart... that would be ideal for u dicko

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

2.0 16v back soon :D

Anonymous
05-12-01, 10:01 PM
i dont get it, but ill laugh anyway. hahahaha

Anonymous
06-12-01, 10:13 AM
i though its if u av bigger chokes u get more top end or does the same fing apply wiv trumpets to. Ive had it rollin roaded and he left the 32mm chokes in i though 28/30mm chokes would of bin better but he goes he was happy wiv it wat do u fink cause im sure 32mm is too big for a 1.4:-/

Anonymous
06-12-01, 07:48 PM
The basic ref. figures for choke/inlet size are (assuming 120mm from butterfly to centre of valve head at a max rpm of 9K):
upto 30bhp per cylinder = 30mm
upto 33 " " = 32mm
upto 39 " " = 35mm
upto 46 " " = 38mm
upto 51 " " = 40mm

Go figure
Having an curved/inclined/tapered inlet tract as with throttle bodies is best for ideal power extraction. 40's have to run basically horizontally which is one of their disads.

Anonymous
07-12-01, 06:09 PM
funny how everyone but MC has replied to this post :p I know my message is of no relavance to the question, just something I noticed.

Anonymous
07-12-01, 07:02 PM
basically i got 116bhp at the fly this is for a 1.4 i though id av bit more but he goes to me tis is no bullshit figure unlike sum garages like to giv. so basically do u reckon 32mmchokes r too big for a 1.4 bu fing is now if i change um to 30mm i gotta change my jet,tubes etc wont i.