PDA

View Full Version : not cutting out

ive_had_a_novadose
02-04-07, 03:12 PM
has anyone had a problem with any novas where when you go for a long drive and then park up and go to switch the engine off it carrys on wanting to tick-over but wanting to die at the same time then after about 4-5 secs the engine turns off like it should

also when this happens as i turn the ignition off if i turn the ignition on again while its doing this dodgy thing the engine comes alive again and ticks-over as normal :confused: i am confused about this one:tard:

Adam
02-04-07, 03:23 PM
Can be fooked alternator, or ignition timing is over advanced, or i think carbon hotspot buildup.

ive_had_a_novadose
02-04-07, 03:36 PM
i had a 1.4 sr and crashed that so thats gone but the sr did the thing i described and i adjusted the timing slightly and it made it a bit better but didnt cure it and my new nova 1.2 carb is doing the same could you explain what carbon hotspot buildup is?

Adam
02-04-07, 03:41 PM
If i remember rightly, its where carbon etc builds up, and makes a hot spot(hot enough to ignition fuel/air mix) hence the engine carries on running

ive_had_a_novadose
02-04-07, 03:44 PM
ohh i get it now makes sense so if it is that which sounds like the right situation i cant cure it without taking the engine to bits or taking the head off and cleaning the bores and piston tops

Adam
02-04-07, 03:53 PM
Have you tried backing the ignition timing off slightly?

SRlew
02-04-07, 03:58 PM
lol i think my old engine used to do this. 1.4 carb lol, was only when it was hot i think and/or been driven a fair distance lol

ive_had_a_novadose
02-04-07, 04:10 PM
yea it happens when its hot or been driven for a long time did you sort this problem out SRlew? and long live no i havent tried to back the ignition off slightly

SRlew
02-04-07, 04:28 PM
nah i didnt sort this, tbh i thought it was something to do with the plugs or something, as mine looked as if it was running rich, not sure if that was the problem tbh, LLTN should know if thatd cause it lol

ive_had_a_novadose
02-04-07, 04:36 PM
Long Live The Nova is the wise one around these parts lol so how could i cure this problem? or just stall the car everytime i want to turn it off lol

Adam
02-04-07, 06:17 PM
Lol, try backing the ignition timing off first.
As that costs nothing.

SRI crazy
02-04-07, 10:45 PM
when u go to start it does it kick back against the starter, if it does the timing is to far advanced and just back it off a bit lol