PDA

View Full Version : Right i am after a gsi

Anonymous
06-12-01, 10:20 AM
Does any one have a list of the main things to check / look for when going to look at them i know the main rust spots and were the relavent numbers are just wondered what else is good to check for

i aint laughing no more and those stupid little faces can fuck off !

http://www.novaload.net/content/upload/Pb270012(breeny).jpg

Anonymous
06-12-01, 12:14 PM
have u checked insurance, i wa paying ?520 on an sr, and they wanted ?1920 for a gsi

Anonymous
06-12-01, 12:31 PM
hahaha i got quoted 1600 on a gsi :p and thats with my driving history :p :p :p

Anonymous
06-12-01, 07:03 PM
im feckin payin 1900 but im 18 n thats wiv everyyyyy fin declaired part from the cam chip injectors whoops may b not!!

Anonymous
06-12-01, 08:41 PM
The GSi is like any other Nova really...check the normal things (like rust as you said), and anything you would normally.

There are some difference though 'cos of the fuel injection, so you'll have some extra things to look at.
Check under the car, and have a good look at the fuel lines (high pressure 'cos of the injection), fuel pump, fuel filter etc, checking general condition of pipes, connections...look for signs of leaks.
Talking of leaks, check for a strong smell of fuel around the filler neck.....may have a knackered none-return valve in the filler neck!
(says me who didn't notice that!)

When you go to look at it, make sure the engine isn't already warm...if that's possible, 'cos the owner might warm it up first to hide any cold-start problems. Because it's injected, it doesn't have a choke and instead has an auto cold-start system......have a look in the green Haynes at the description of the fuel injection, and how it works...it might give some clues as to what to look at and check (page 13.28 section 12.....Bosch L3.1-Jetronic).
It details the components of the system, of which should all be checked if possible......all I did with my GTE was here it started up and running...it started instantly from cold, ran smooth straight away, the idle settled immediately etc, so I just assumed it was ok....it turns out is it....I've not had any probs so far (touch wood)

Check, with the bonnet up, that it revs nicely and easily without coughing and spluttering, and listen for cam/tappet noise.

Um.....I don't know what else to suggest really....most other things are the same as on any normal model.....the usual wheel bearings, condition of shocks, brake condition etc etc.

Check things like elecy windows, sunroof, condition of seats etc.....you know...the usual.

BTW....my insurance on the GTE (ALL mods declared including JP zorst, lowering, alloys etc.) is ?490 TPFT :)

Anonymous
06-12-01, 09:41 PM
if your not sure get AA inspection :) i tink its about ?30 - ?40