PDA

View Full Version : lock replacements

Anonymous
07-12-01, 11:30 AM
after some piece of shit screwdrivered my drivers door and nicked my cd unit and fapping gte keys(my only set!) I need to know what to do with my door,the locks been practically pushed thru the door itself,and twisted,which has caused the doors paintwork to be chipped badly(which will probably mean the door skimmed) and the horrid part is the door has been creased slightly round the lock,has anyone had this kinda thing repaired?-I have my eyes on an SR for ?500 round these parts,and its very tempting,as it has janspeed,K&N etc-n gte skirts-but what sorta prices do oyu think Im looking at peeps?-and how can I replace all my locks on the gte without a key to draw the ignition lock out?

"she may not look much but shes got it where it counts..."

Anonymous
07-12-01, 12:41 PM
replace sterring column on ur GTe i think, the column cost me ?15 to replace. Its 2 bolts at top (1 u haveto grind off then replace with normal bolt) and 2 bolts on the bottom.
Not sure about the doors, suppose u could bend the bits back, but wont b as strong, or weld them in maybe in option

Anonymous
07-12-01, 10:10 PM
the passenger door on gte was already screwed,so I may use that side to get into the car,other than that,door locks are well easy to remove and replace,just a rubbish tin style "security panel" to clip the lock in place,cheers dicko,these columns come from breakers cars?-or is that a shelf price???

"she may not look much but shes got it where it counts..."

Anonymous
08-12-01, 10:34 AM
try solex door locks, if you have the boot type that dosnt have the handle you can fit one to that aswell.

"I'm a junky with a monkey"

Anonymous
09-12-01, 10:44 AM
yeah i had the solexlocks in mine, i cant fault them apart from the fact there a bitch to set up with central locking

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
09-12-01, 01:32 PM
I bought my car stolen recovered and it had similar problems. The locks were all useless and the area surrounding them was gouged and creased. My dad had a metal dolly at his garage which he recommended i use, it's simply a thick bit of steel with the shape of a lock pressed into it. I just held this up against the outside of the door and lock and got him to hammer the inside. It came out excellently, then all i had to do was sand the surrounding area, primer it and then spray. The finish is good but the paint colour isn't a great match, i think its due to the ageing of the original paint? All the locks came from a 1.3SR onto my 1.4SR. The lock set new is about ?90 from Vauxhall, but i paid ?20 for two door locks, one boot lock and one ignition barrel with a set of keys.

Hope this helps!

Anonymous
09-12-01, 01:52 PM
when my van got broke into i used a press designed for vaux doors that presses the lock section back into shape
ask in your local (vaux) body shop if they have one u can use/borrow
if it is just the steering lock and the kiy still works you can remove it by turning it to pos 2 and putting a rod in the hole my where the wiper stalk is for the whole column if it is just the lock remove the small shear bolt with a sharp chisel if it is the whole column remove the larger shear bolt first then the 2 13mm ones

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

2.0 16v back soon :D