PDA

View Full Version : rear axle big crack what to do

stafford
30-03-07, 08:45 PM
i have a disc conversion and ive heard a load of scraping from the rear, the passanger side wheel can be pulled out and pushed in, i took a closer look and there is a big crack in the axle. i know the rear axles have to be flexable so can these be welded up or do i have to change rear axle cheers lads
:thumb:

bump
30-03-07, 10:15 PM
As it's mild steel and fairly heavy gauge a root and cap on MMA should be sufficient from a strength point of view, however I can't vouch for it being test appropriate.

Best bet is to call a friendly MOT tester to ask their opinion.

matthew172
30-03-07, 10:16 PM
get the big grunty ****ed off stick welder out, turn it up to maximum heat and go to town on the crack pal

Jon_nova1
30-03-07, 11:42 PM
you could grind into the axle where the crack is, make it into a V shape and weld in the groove, rather than make one big weld, make normal sized welds till the weld in groove are level with the axle then grind it flat so you cant tell its welded ;)

bump
31-03-07, 11:14 AM
you could grind into the axle where the crack is, make it into a V shape and weld in the groove, rather than make one big weld, make normal sized welds till the weld in groove are level with the axle then grind it flat so you cant tell its welded ;)

Yes a root and cap.

meritlover
31-03-07, 02:26 PM
sounds like waste of welder wie and time, drag a new one out a scrappy for a tenner.