PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox question

tinyrally1
29-03-07, 07:22 PM
What are the differences between a GSI gearbox and a standard 1.3sr gearbox, ie will they interchange.

I have a road rally nova and i have a really loud whining noise coming from the gear box (possibly diff).

I have been offered a GSI gearbox for ?10 but am unsure if it is compatible with the 1.3sr.

Do you have to use the GSI driveshafts due to being different spline

Please help as i want to get the car back on the road

Cheers

garyc
29-03-07, 08:26 PM
all the bits swap, the F13 has a bigger bell housing to accept the larger flywheel.

tinyrally1
29-03-07, 08:34 PM
all the bits swap, the F13 has a bigger bell housing to accept the larger flywheel.

So even though the SR flywheel is smaller, its a straight fit. I dont want to have to get drive shafts, new clutch etc etc.

Is the GSI gearbox closer ratio?????

Jon_nova1
29-03-07, 08:43 PM
have you tried putting gearbox fluid in it?

tinyrally1
29-03-07, 08:57 PM
The fluid is fine mate. I thought i had holed the casing on a rough 'white' track, and by the end of the event it was whining like a pig. On this 'white' track, i had a puncture on the front left. it was one hell of an impact with a large sharp stone. I drove about a mile on the flat until i found a hard surface to change the flat.

garyc
29-03-07, 09:02 PM
yes it should have the CR cluster in

Jon_nova1
29-03-07, 09:04 PM
if it was a hard impact you may have popped the driveshaft out on the nearside like i did with my old nova, we came back to it to find all the fluid had spilt all over the road lol

Stuart
30-03-07, 08:15 AM
you need to check the F13 as some are Wide ratio clusters and therefore a load of toss.

the shafts remain the same.

tinyrally1
30-03-07, 04:33 PM
you need to check the F13 as some are Wide ratio clusters and therefore a load of toss.

the shafts remain the same.

The current gearbox is like stirring porridge so im used to the feel of a toss gearbox. I just want the car usable again.

craig green
30-03-07, 04:46 PM
It feels like porridge due to the linkage being slacker than .... a slack thing.

Thats not the box. An F13 CR from a GTE or GSi is seen as an upgrade though.