PDA

View Full Version : HELP: My engine is getting HOT HOT HOT

Anonymous
03-12-01, 09:02 AM
water hose split on my beast the other day. Ive fixed the hose. nice bodge job was performed. Now all manor of problems are occuring. Before this hose went my car's temperature never went out of the blue unless stuck in heavy traffic and then a quick blast of the heaters in my car caused it too shoot back down again. I never saw the temperature go above half way. After fitting the hose on saturday I started the engine to see if it was okay. my fan never came on (even after leaving it for ages - it had worked before but couldnt say whether it was working berore my rad hose went). Took the car for a spin and my temperature rose all the way towards red (unless I put the heaters on and then it dropped down to about half way / 3/4 way) This ride was only a short 10 minute one. I tried pulling out the connector that plugs into a socket near the gear box and joined the connection to put some power through to the fan and the fan didnt come on (a mate told me that this is what you do to test see if the fan is working). I bodged somewires together and wired the fan directly up to the battery and the fan worked fine. Decided to take the car for a spin to test it (take into account the fan is continuosly on now) and the engine temp got to about half way on the gauge. After about 15 more minutes it started to rise and head toward red (it was a really cold nite too last nite) steam started to come out of my engine so I turned my heaters on and the engine cooled down to 3/4 again then to 1/2way, pulled up and checked everything out and couldnt see any leaks. The pressure was extremely high in the overrflow tank though. Also heard an occaisionaly glugging type noise coming from one of the hoses near overflow tank. help people as something in the car is wrong and needs to be sorted out.

what should I do?

Anonymous
03-12-01, 11:02 AM
would the glgging sound not indicate water in the system. try bleeding it and see if that works
hth

Anonymous
03-12-01, 01:27 PM
Sounds like air in the system, try bleeding it, and check the coolant using one of those little gadgets you can buy from Halfords Etc.

Ben :)

cheese@novaload.org.uk

Anonymous
03-12-01, 04:37 PM
yes, an airlock id say, take the bottom hose off expansion bottle, flsuh it through with hosepipe, then fill up not forgetting to add antifreeze.
I dont know if its possible but if the water gate thing that aloows water to the radiator stuck shut the water would keep circulating and not use the radiator. Maybe this has happened due to it getting so hot when the pipe split!