PDA

View Full Version : Engine stripdown

Jon_nova1
28-03-07, 03:45 PM
after hours of f*cking about with the nova, i've come to the conclusion it needs to have the block skimmed, and pistons pocketed, this would mean stripping the engine, i've never fully stripped an engine before, so need help lol

is it just a case off taking the sump off unbolting the crankshaft, then knock the round things in the front of the engine out so i can take the pins out of the pistons to get them out? then when i get it all back, put new piston rings on the pistons, hone the cylinders and getting a piston putter inny thing to put the piston in with the arrow facing towards the cambelt side? and redo what i undid?lol

Adam
28-03-07, 04:27 PM
No offence, but if your not confident i wouldn't attempt it.

Haynes has a good engine build guide.
Best with the engine out the car, on a stand.
Basically, big end caps will need removing, and each piston knocked up the bore out the block. Mark the caps so you know which one went where.

Main shells then need removing, and the crank lifting out.

Will be costly tho, rings, shells aren't cheap.
Why do the pistons need pocketing? There should be plenty of clearence, piston to valve.

Tbh, i think id just get a good 1400 block

Jon_nova1
28-03-07, 04:32 PM
they need pocketing because the valves are hitting the pistons, i dont think i need a full strip down after speaking to my mate that can do all the work for me, he said aslong as i take the sump off and theres nothing in the way so it can sit flat it'll be ok, so the oil pump will have to come off, and i'd just need to get the pistons out

Jon_nova1
28-03-07, 05:23 PM
where can you buy piston rings online? lol

Adam
28-03-07, 05:54 PM
Just fit a head that hasn't been skimmed so much.
Problem solved.

Jon_nova1
28-03-07, 06:11 PM
not really, i've still got the problem of the pit in the block where the gasket keeps blowing, and id have to take the pistons out so it can be skimmed and my mates doing it dirt cheap for me anyway

Philsutton
28-03-07, 08:04 PM
to unbolt the crank shaft you need the gearbox off, you would be making things difficult for yourself to try an keep the block in the car as most of it will need to be striped down anyway.

Also how are you going to put the block onto a milling machine to skim it when its in the car lol