PDA

View Full Version : door removal. how the fcuk

bigbened
27-03-07, 06:05 PM
right im now putting on my new door and wonderd what was the best method of getting the old door off and the new one on. I have gatherd that you need to knock the pins out and then back in, but how and what with?

also how do you do the boot (i havent looked yet lol)

burgo
27-03-07, 06:09 PM
you will be wanting one if these
http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Door-Pin-Removal-Kit-54585-Draper-DPRK?sc=9&category=239

as for the boot thats easy altho i would recommend having two people to do it. you need to pull the wiring back threw to start with, then remove the gas struts then simple tap the pins out. should only take 5 mins max

Rich
27-03-07, 06:33 PM
I read about using the middle bit of a nova boot strut but havent tried it myself. It sounds like a good idea as it would have a bit of bend to help get on the pins. If your not keeping the door bend it to helf knock the pins out.

Top pin needs to be knocked down and bottom pin goes up.

bigbened
27-03-07, 10:33 PM
ok lads ill have a go and see what bits i can find in my garage tomorrow

Jon_nova1
27-03-07, 10:43 PM
a bonnet proper upper is the right width lol

or if you dont need the old door, take a dremel to it an grind the hinge ;)

kevster
27-03-07, 10:53 PM
just use a punch lol thats all i did :)

ste porter
28-03-07, 02:55 AM
put new pins in when refitting they cost 75p from vauxhall

craig green
28-03-07, 09:07 AM
Beat the pins out with a cut down section of Nova bonnet stay. its the perfect size to do the job.

As said, the tailgate is easy but worth doing with a helper as its a tad heavy.

bieransri
28-03-07, 09:13 AM
use an old valve, i was at scrappy once with my punches etc trying to get a door off a nova, found n old valve by the side of the car and used that, worked a treat

loggyboy
28-03-07, 10:33 AM
Using the kit or the bonnet stay, the trick is lashings of WD40 and a mate to take the weight of the door off the pins when you tap the pins out.

I used the kit and it came off in minutes, i was there for an hour before i bought the kit trying to tap them out with other items.

Jon_nova1
28-03-07, 10:54 AM
lol been there myself, searching around the garage looking for an odd part to try and get them out with lol i was scrapping the car and selling the door so just took an angle grinder to the shell in the end lol