PDA

View Full Version : brake cylinder

Anonymous
27-11-01, 10:04 AM
Hi

My mates nova has got a leaky rear brake cycinder which he wants fixing. He can only just remove a wheel so he;s asked if i can fix it for him. I have never done a break cylnder before (but i have swapped from calipers). How dificult is this to? What do i need to do the job (abart from the cylinder 8quid from motorways). Anyone got any tips?

Also he has been told that the leaking brake fluid will have ruined the brake shoes Is this correct was the bloke at the garge trtiyng to make a quick buck? I have got a set of brake shoes but they say they are for 80-83 nova will they fit a 89 nova?

thanks

danny

Things to do: Rebuild engine, paint car, rebuild car, pass driving test

Anonymous
27-11-01, 11:16 AM
its true, the brake fluid will have saturated the pouros brake pad material.
Iv done 1 on a clio, was a pain in the ass job as i couldnt undo the hose on the back without damaging it a little. apart from that nothing major.
Dont forget to bleed the brakes afterwards as the cylinder will be full of air!

Anonymous
27-11-01, 12:38 PM
loads of wd40 the night before so it comes out easy
to restore shoes use oxy touch and cook the brake fluid out

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

2.0 16v back soon :D

Anonymous
27-11-01, 02:46 PM
ull have to do both sides or in time breaking will be uneven and your car will move to one side.

so ive been told neway

Anonymous
27-11-01, 02:47 PM
lol breaking wtf i meant braking

Anonymous
27-11-01, 03:31 PM
lol not from replacing the cylinder but it will from changing the shoes but adjusting the rear brakes should be done every 10k or when the handbreak goes above 3 clicks (it's all in the haynes!!!)

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

2.0 16v back soon :D

Anonymous
27-11-01, 10:27 PM
Doesnt look tomuch of a job then! Looks like phill will get some stopping power back :D

cheers

danny

Things to do: Rebuild engine, paint car, rebuild car, pass driving test

Anonymous
28-11-01, 01:24 AM
heh

thats what you think

till u split your brake pipes and the car is stranded (yes we have all been there)

Micky@novaload.net :)