PDA

View Full Version : Idle

Anonymous
26-11-01, 03:58 PM
My car is idling to low, its idling at 600 rpm and almost cutting out. How do I adjust the idle ?

Its a 2.0l 8v Cav engine 1987.

My brother wants to change his idle speed as well, his is a 2.0 16v cavalier engine.

any idea how to do it ?

:D 2.0l 8v. It will work one day !!! :D

Anonymous
26-11-01, 05:55 PM
no... u gotta fiddle about with the thingy under the bonnet though, a valve thing you gotta turn around (it had to be done by a piece coin in my RS) ...that should work.
Give it a try & let me know how it goes...??
LOL
Anything else, just "holla" ;)

Anonymous
26-11-01, 06:39 PM
well idle on 16v is set by idle control valve, so u cant change it unless u get a manual control valve from SBD (?45)
On the nova GTE its on the throttlebody, near where the cable linkage/spring mechanism is, maybe similar on urs. just unscrew to increase rpm

Anonymous
26-11-01, 09:02 PM
see, thats what I meant Damo! I knew what I was going on about, just didnt make much sense, thats all!

Anonymous
27-11-01, 09:51 AM
I know my car has got a throttle position switch and I think it has got an idle control switch as well but there doesn't look to be any way to manually change it.

If me and my brother bought a control vlve from SBD would it work on both of our engines ?

:D 2.0l 8v. It will work one day !!! :D

Anonymous
27-11-01, 12:31 PM
usualy a low <900rpm on the 2.0 16v means the inlet/idle valve etc needs a good clean

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

e reg shell almost gone!!

Anonymous
27-11-01, 12:32 PM
or put some pull on the acc cable

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

e reg shell almost gone!!