PDA

View Full Version : Valver: twin 45s or ECU?

Anonymous
24-11-01, 03:33 AM
Whats the general consensus on these 2 methods of fueling up a valver? Is the ECU difficult to patch up a Nova loom if it's already running an injection system? Is it worth the massive expensive of buying two 45s and an inlet manifold? What sort of power gains can be expected of 45s as opposed to injection with an induction kit and say group N ECU?
cheers

Hi officer.
What?
She said she was 16!
NOT AGAIN FFS

Anonymous
24-11-01, 04:42 PM
wiring is nothing to wory about! 4-5 wires, as we keep saying. u might save a bit of weight and gain a little performance from 45's. but the initial cost, and the tuning every 500 miles or so its not worth the hassle!
Either stick to the ECU, or get throttle bodies!

Anonymous
24-11-01, 04:57 PM
ECU seems to be the way forward

Hi officer.
What?
She said she was 16!
NOT AGAIN FFS

Anonymous
24-11-01, 05:07 PM
for the ECU you'd be better off buying a DTA, Lumentaion or MBE unit, that way you can map it for injection AND/OR ignition, then onto TB's if you want (its aint hard to make em yer self either). you can run a race ecu to solely control the ignition if you run on carbs.

Dave Pearce, hmm he mixes like a man with no hands

Anonymous
25-11-01, 02:56 AM
Dicko how long have you had carbs?

I wish every body would get it out of there heads that carbs go out of tune. They don't. The only thing that can possibly change is the balance which loctite can hold still, so in theory no tuning ever needed. I never have to worry about fiddling or adjusting anything. Its just a myth passed around by mechanically shite people.

**Why take 16V's onto the track when u can use 8?**

Anonymous
25-11-01, 11:49 AM
So there Dicko! Rick

They say "good things come to those who wait" and me and John have waited longer than most!

Anonymous
25-11-01, 01:19 PM
:p:p:p:p

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

e reg shell almost gone!!

Anonymous
25-11-01, 03:31 PM
hmmmmmm carbs or ecu??? tough decision CARBS :P

Anonymous
25-11-01, 03:47 PM
Carbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

Anonymous
25-11-01, 04:49 PM
carbs sound 10 times better

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
25-11-01, 07:05 PM
I started on injection but progressed to carbs. Carbs win hands down and aren't 'much' worse on economy either...
If ur buying new carbs tho (mine were) it may be worth lookin out for 2nd hand TB's as they are more available now.... and also are more accurate throughout the range. I lurve my carbs tho:)

Anonymous
25-11-01, 10:10 PM
ok, well the 3 people i know who have carbs say that they find they need it tuned, probably due to weather. surely the 40's dont compensate for air mass changes due to change in air temperature and atmospheric pressure.
As air mass flow rate is proportional to pressure/square root of temperature.
With a bit of maths, even if u keep the pressure the same u will loose/gain 1%power for every 5.5C. As pressure changes, and temps change by around 30C at different times of the year it would make some difference.
Where if you have throttle bodies with boromic pressure sensor these problems are accounted for!

But MC is da man wiv da carbs, im jsut going off theory :P

Anonymous
25-11-01, 10:27 PM
I've driven with carbs through summer and winter, and any change is so minimal that you don't notice it. Yes , there is a way to adjust for Barometric pressure and air temp, but the benefits are questionable. They don't just suddenly start running shite, and you get so much fuel and air on full throttle that performance isn't affected. The only difference I notice is that the idle goes up or down 50ish rpm for every 10 degrees in temp. I do agree TB's are easier and smoother to use, but he was asking about the benefits of carbs over the original setup.

Anonymous
25-11-01, 11:07 PM
right, so are you saying your spot on tuned car is actually out from its peak now the winter has kicked in?
Do you admit defeat there carb king?
:P

Anonymous
25-11-01, 11:19 PM
I think you shud go for the group N ecu m8 fuel injection is far less hassle and carbs need constant resetting and it is slow so figure that 1 out. Rick

They say "good things come to those who wait" and me and John have waited longer than most!

Anonymous
25-11-01, 11:28 PM
O and MC you little group of fans are contradicting what is said about your car in Total Vauxhall so can you sort them out! They and you said carbs never need resetting and in TVx it clearly states you car is "its really strong but a bit rich at the top. There's a lot more power to be had" So they are out of tune and need resetting then? Rick

Anonymous
25-11-01, 11:45 PM
My car is purpously set up for mid range torque using small chokes, so if you rev above the selected power band it will be rich. If I wanted peak power I'd use larger chokes, but I choose not to. My carbs are how they are due to testing and experience on road in real conditions. You need more than a rolling road to get the right settings. Dicko, read it again. Fester wanted to know the performance gains using carbs over the original. Carbs will give more power and torque than the mentioned mods, and the car will be quicker.

Anonymous
25-11-01, 11:48 PM
Is it worth the massive expensive of buying two 45s and an inlet manifold?

*cough* carbs need setting up = money

Anonymous
25-11-01, 11:56 PM
Get second hand.

Second hand EXPENSIVE carbs will be around ?300 with a few little extra costs. How much is a group N ECU and filter? (I'm not being sarcy, I really don't know) It surely can't give the same performance increase/? can it?
Rick, drive a car with carbs for a year that are setup properly from the start and are in good condition, then feel free to comment on there worthyness. The only way to tell what these things are like is to try them. If you hated them all that time and don't want the extra performance, then fine, I won't argue.

Anonymous
26-11-01, 12:01 AM
*cough* If you don't want to learn about and understand cars and insist on paying for everything, avoiding the best coz its too much hassle, buy a 911, and save alot of time for stuff like needlework.

Anonymous
26-11-01, 12:08 AM
paying for everything? only thing iv payed to have done on my car was welding, and im trying my best to do that myself now.

or are you on about rick.
your not very clear what your on about MC. Do you know what your on about?

Anonymous
26-11-01, 12:16 AM
Ere i have driven my mates corsa with 40's on and it is the biggest piece of crap i have ever driven, it chokes up goes slower than a 1.6 nova gsi that is std and generally is pants. End of story from me, i think they are not to good IMHO but everyone to there own and all. Rick

Anonymous
26-11-01, 12:31 AM
Well, your mates corsa obviously isn't set up right, come and have a go in mine. He has probably gone for too large a choke size to get the high peak power, which has fucked the driveability up.

Anonymous
26-11-01, 12:50 AM
rick 'come and have a go in mine' u might aswell m8, jus for a laugh!

Anonymous
26-11-01, 09:59 AM
lol that corsa is fucked! he doesnt have a clue, how can u compare that to marks car!!!??

Anonymous
26-11-01, 12:55 PM
well it runs carbs, and we are on about carbs breeny :P

Anonymous
26-11-01, 01:35 PM
there's carbs then there's carbs that are set up right

everyone who's got a bad opinion about carbs are people who haven't got them set up right, but people with good opinions are the peeps with them set to optimum performance..

that's the feeling i'm gettin :-/

Nova Community
Visit: www.RoyBacer.co.uk
Email: Ged@RoyBacer.co.uk

Anonymous
26-11-01, 06:06 PM
well said Ged.