PDA

View Full Version : 2.0l 8v latest >>>>>>

Anonymous
23-11-01, 12:32 PM
Right, me and my brother re fitted the engine on Wednesday night. It got to about 11.pm and it was ready to fire up. I was so nervous as I turned the key, but bobs your uncle it fired straight up.

after a few tweaks here and there it was fine.

Next day I managed to get the day off work and spent some time tweaking it and it was running sweet. It was ticking over really quietly and revving nice. I had to take the alternator back off as it was scraping on the bodywork. When I put the alternator back on the car wouldn't start ???

The battery was dead. I jump started it off my brothers car and it was running for a few mins. I looked at the battery light and it was on quater, then all the lights went out on the digidash and the lights wouldn't work and the engine cut out. Then it wouldn't start again. So I went and bought a 2.0l battery and connected it up and the car started straight up, but the battery light was only on half ????

It always used to be on 3/4. I drove it for about 15 mins and it stayed on half power. When I went out this morning to start it it wouldn't start again ???

My guess is that the alternator isn't charging the battery properly.

what do you reckon is wrong with it, do you think its the alternator or something else. as its a brand new battery I would have thought that the battery light would have been on full ?

any ideas ?

:D 2.0l 8v. It will work one day !!! :D

Anonymous
23-11-01, 01:06 PM
Either the alternator, or check that you haven't got a bad earth somewhere. That can stop it charging.

**Why take 16V's onto the track when u can use 8?**

Anonymous
23-11-01, 02:00 PM
what, the main earth on the gearbox or just the alternator earth ?

Anonymous
23-11-01, 04:04 PM
Or the battery earth, check em all.

**Why take 16V's onto the track when u can use 8?**

Anonymous
23-11-01, 04:07 PM
will do, David p's got me another alternator off a 2.0l 8v cav so Im going to fit that tomorrow, make sure the fan belts really tight, I might get a new fan belt actually. I'm going to check all the earths and slap a load of that copper grease all over them to make sure and we'll see if it makes any difference. (it bloody wants to !!!)

I can't believe the amount of things that have gone wrong since I took that 1.4 engine out. I didn't have 1 problem with it while the sr lump was in there !!! This car had better fly once its been run in or I aint gonna be a happy chappie !!

Anonymous
23-11-01, 04:09 PM
Good luck Damo !!

Anonymous
23-11-01, 04:29 PM
a good test is to stick a jump lead on the negitive pov the baterry and the other end on the engine and see if it charges that way

if it does then u got a faulty/crap earth

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
23-11-01, 11:48 PM
Are the connections in the plug into the back of the alternator OK? I've had them perish and then break when being pulled on and off.

Anonymous
25-11-01, 02:59 PM
Damian, i read a previous post by you saying that your block has been bored to 2.1 litres. Is it still running on the standard injection system (from the 2.0L)? I know it is only a relatively small increase but will the ECU automatically compensate (i.e inject a bit more fuel) for the increase in capacity?

Anonymous
25-11-01, 03:39 PM
the injection system is fully automatic. he could gain by gettin an irmsher throttle body. or just be adding a superchip to allow more fuel.

Anonymous
26-11-01, 09:54 AM
MMMMMM throttle bodies and superchips aaaahhhhhhh. !!!!!!!

Would this extra .1 of a litre make enough difference to require more fuel to be injected ?

Will it be o.k if I leave it with the current set up till I can afford to get something sorted ?