PDA

View Full Version : At what rpm does a t40'd 1400/1600 make peak power?

Adam
23-03-07, 06:23 PM
Anyone had theres RR'd?
Where about in the rev range did it make peak power at?

Similar spec to mine if possible, 40dcoes, ast2 cam, se head, 4-1 exhaust manifold.

:)

Dan
23-03-07, 06:36 PM
here's one of mine, its from 3 1/2 years ago when i used velos, but jamsports graph is identical from last summer

http://www2.novaload.net/files/dan/roller.jpg

Adam
23-03-07, 06:39 PM
Top stuff, cheers Dan

benthehash
24-03-07, 01:00 PM
how do you loose the power from the flywheel to the wheels?
if it's bench tested do you only get a flywheel reading?

cheers ben

Adam
24-03-07, 01:04 PM
The flywheel reading is estimated from the wheel reading.
Power is lost through the clutch, gearbox, driveshafts etc.

Sirnixalot
24-03-07, 05:28 PM
i personally think that the british system of estimating BHP from whp is misleading and frankly retarded, its just used so that people think they are making more power than they are.

Dan
24-03-07, 06:22 PM
which is why the more seasoned of us dont use figures as they are purely a 'rough' guideline. There have been many posts over the years regarding this and even I have seen a variation of 25bhp within the space of a few weeks from different rolling roads. This is why myself and quite a few others travel a long way for a tune,based on the cars performance after it has been touched rather than a shiney bit of paper with a figure on it.

End of the day its what the drivers relationship with the car is like and what they can do with it that counts. There's not many that quote a figure as low as mine and bang in the qtr times to match, but alot of that is down to how i have built the car, not just on engine power alone. (and its getting quicker soon without touching the engine or box ;))

SRlew
24-03-07, 06:54 PM
(and its getting quicker soon without touching the engine or box ;))

umm wounder what your planing :confused:

coochiSR
24-03-07, 07:05 PM
A diet?

Martin
24-03-07, 07:40 PM
Lighter brakes?suspension?wheels? also diet?

i agree with dan on the rollin road figures ives seen a few peeps dissapointed because wen that was at So& So's there car made X amount of power etc..

itslike wat dan says its not wat the car& all its 10000s of bhp can do, its wat u can do with that car..

Martin

Philsutton
24-03-07, 07:51 PM
It depends how they are set up. We had my mates mk1 glf (1.8 16v on twin 40s) on the rolling road today an his was peaking at 5k. He has fairly small chokes ect... in but his power curve was quite flat an smooth.

Dan
24-03-07, 10:13 PM
another good point, with mine at both r/r's i had the option of a few more bhp or a better torque figure, we backed it off a touch and opted for the torque figure as the number difference was slightly greater and offered more over the whole package so setup is another major factor, again why a few of us have to travel so far to have a tune

Adam
24-03-07, 10:41 PM
Anyone got a rough guide to choke/jet size for 40dcoe on a 1600 8v?
Thinking 32mm chokes.
Might find a 16 block/head and fit the carbs/ast2 and then get it fully setup.