PDA

View Full Version : Engine Care ?

Anonymous
21-11-01, 11:43 AM
I have just had a fully reconditioned cylinder head, skim, dekoked, new valves and valve guides, new hydraulic lifters, new gaskets, head bolts etc and a fully reconditioned bottom end, new pistons, piston rings, sump, oil pump, bored out to 2.1.

I'm refitting the engine tonight, and all being well it should hopefully be running either tonight or tomorrow evening.

(at last !!!!!!!)

Now, with this being effectively a brand new engine, I assume I need to run it in ?

If so how long for, and do you know exactly what is meant by running in, i.e don't raise revs above 3.5k or don't go above 50mph ????

:D 2.0l 8v. It will work one day !!! :D

Anonymous
21-11-01, 12:20 PM
You will need to run it in. When i run in my engine (1.6 8v) after a re-build i kept it below 3000 rpm for the first 500 miles. You should also avoid running it for long periods -until the head cokes up it'll liable to overheating. Also cheak your oil / water levels before running each time and look for leaks.

Anonymous
21-11-01, 04:06 PM
Spk to a couple of main dealers to check about any special requires. for your engine.
I turn the engine over on the starter motor without the spark plugs in to make sure everything gets primed before attempting a start. Make sure the cams are well lubed 1st.
Once started take straight up to about 2500 - 3000rpm and keep it there for 15mins or so. After the first 100 miles longish journeys are fine under moderate & varied loads - not motorway I reckon tho'. Keep to the speed limits for at least 500 miles

Anonymous
21-11-01, 05:33 PM
and then hammer it :)

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
21-11-01, 09:09 PM
bastard
i was gonna drive to scotland twice in a weekend to run my 2.0 16v in

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

e reg shell almost gone!!

Anonymous
21-11-01, 10:27 PM
my dads freelander he cudnt go over 65 mph in a 1.8i petrol or 3500 revs wel he cud but he werent spost to :P

sorry for rong car ;)

Anonymous
23-11-01, 10:09 AM
doh, I was planning to sit on the motorway for as many miles as possible till I got really bored then it's be out of the way. It's going to take me months to do 500 miles round town !!!

Anonymous
23-11-01, 11:22 AM
Go for a drive out in the country zun! There are some excellent A and B roads about that are worth exploring so that you can go back at night and have some relatively safe fun on without too much interruption. Short runs around town aint too good for any engine!

Anonymous
23-11-01, 04:18 PM
takes me 1 week to do 500 miles

lol

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
23-11-01, 04:37 PM
after you have run it in it is advisable to change the oil too

Anonymous
23-11-01, 11:24 PM
see whats the quickest lap around your block?? just keep going until the red beamer wants to race ya ...or even that moped !! ha ha!
Get a stopwatch ready for the laps...

Anonymous
26-11-01, 09:51 AM
lmao @ sid !!!