PDA

View Full Version : BB or SB?

Novadex
23-03-07, 08:19 AM
Ive got some money on the way soon, and ive decided to spend it on my engine bay. I can`t make up my mind wether to mod the GSI witch is in there now or XE it. Ive Spend alot of money on the GSI lump so it would be a shame to disgard it but i like the thought of the 1/4 m with the XE. Ive been trying to weigh up the good and bad points of both i.e. handling of the small block but lack of power on the straight. If i do spend it on the GSI then i may have some cash left for other areas of the motor but ive always wanted an xe... you can see where im going with this lol . All opinions welcome...
Thanx :thumb:

SUP4NOV4
23-03-07, 09:10 AM
Go with the xe blow the cash on what it is you really want in my past experince ive gone for the cheaper option and the easy one to save a few quid to spend on something else on the car but you just end up regreting it and wish you just spent the lot on one thing you really wanted.

dannyb
23-03-07, 11:23 AM
Just XE it!! If It was a grotter, I'd say keep as is, but as its a tidy motor you got, its worth doing. What options would you go for on the 1600, how much power would this get you and would you have reached a ceiling as far as tuning/money goes? Would it be as much as 150bhp from a lump which shouldn't cost any more than 200 quid??

craig green
23-03-07, 11:35 AM
for the above argument, a 150bhp XE will be better & more reliable than a 150bhp tuned (top end) 1600 8v.

Either bling the 1600 or XE it. Most people cant refuse the thought of a redtop cam cover under the bonnet. Its just a matter of justifying your decision when someone asks, why didnt you XE it?

SUP4NOV4
23-03-07, 11:39 AM
Well said

craig green
23-03-07, 11:53 AM
8v's can look nice though.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/HOT%20METAL/GoldNov2.jpg

Adam
23-03-07, 01:55 PM
Cost wise, a bigger engine is always a better decision.

Matt GTE
23-03-07, 02:30 PM
If it's power you want then you're better off with the XE, as has already been said it'll be more reliable and driveable than a heavily tuned 1600 8V and there's a lot more scope for future tuning.

Driver
23-03-07, 03:47 PM
defo mod gsi

small blocks rule

Lee
23-03-07, 04:04 PM
<<<<<<<<See quote above avatar

Ernie
23-03-07, 04:09 PM
lol @ b/t

Dan
23-03-07, 04:12 PM
the easiest option is the xe, no argueing there at all. The other options are based on personal preference and budget.

but....

for the above argument, a 150bhp XE will be better & more reliable than a 150bhp tuned (top end) 1600 8v

I'd disagree with that if the engine is built properly :thumb: Only because i drive the proof of how easy it is it to achieve.

Driver
23-03-07, 04:15 PM
<<<<<<<<See quote above avatar

big block meens your making up for something lol

Lee
23-03-07, 04:30 PM
big block meens your making up for something lol

yeah, lack of power from a small block lol

And ignore Dan, he recently stripped his engine, and found it to be in better condition than when he built it! It also has better mpg on the carbs than a Toyota Pryus!

But in essence he's right, even if you build the 1.6 to rev to 10k and produce 250bhp, if its done properly within tolerences, theres no reason why it wont be reliable. The real issue is the cost of getting the 1.6 8v to make 150 bhp. Its not cheap, wheras 200 quid will get you a reasonable XE making that power straight away, plus youll never get a 1.6 to make the torque produced by a 2.0 unless you attach a hair dryer.

But dont forget, you need to spend the money you save on tuning on the chassis and brakes!

Dan
23-03-07, 04:53 PM
pffft, you know what i was trying to get across and its validity, i just hate people saying dont do it it'll break when its aload of old tosh. And where the hell did mpg come into it, not my fault what i get.

(apologies if i read your reply in the wrong context, crap day today)

Lee
23-03-07, 04:56 PM
pffft, you know what i was trying to get across and its validity, i just hate people saying dont do it it'll break when its aload of old tosh. And where the hell did mpg come into it, not my fault what i get.

(apologies if i read your reply in the wrong context, crap day today)

I agree, hence my post. And dont worry, i was having a dig, so you probably did read it in the right context lol

Chris
23-03-07, 05:00 PM
no replacement for displacement

burgo
23-03-07, 05:07 PM
i say burgo it, ill decide on what engine to use and let you know ;)

ste porter
23-03-07, 05:50 PM
xe it
speaking of which it just so happens i have 2 for sale cheap and if your not one for playing with spanners im sure we could crack some sort of deal on fitting 2lol
pm me if interested

Novadex
23-03-07, 06:21 PM
Thanx for the advice fellas, im still not totally sure what im going to do but im slowly moving towards the XE idea. i think this will proberly be the cheaper option in the long run.

Teggy
23-03-07, 06:48 PM
yea go xe cheaper and surely if you spend the money that you were gonna use to mod the gsi engine the xe will be quicker

Philsutton
23-03-07, 09:00 PM
burgo it, no doubt

draper
23-03-07, 09:06 PM
youll need an XE to drag that bodykit around :p

but on a more sensible note - burgo

Novadex
24-03-07, 08:23 AM
youll need an XE to drag that bodykit around :p

lol true...
http://maxham.com/mark/pics/gay-french-superhero-2.jpg
draper can you stop sending me pics mate, i told you im not like that!
lol