PDA

View Full Version : Gears

Anonymous
24-11-01, 12:22 PM
I was giving my car a bit of stick in 2nd last night and as i was about to change up, i hit the limiter.

Since then I no longer have to press the gear stick down to get it in reverse, and you cant get it into 5tn anyore!

I scared the crap outa the guy behind at the lights, thought i had it in first but it was actually in reverse!

please help, i was having a bit of trouble with getting it ino first anyway, but now first is fine, 5th is none existent!

Anonymous
24-11-01, 02:23 PM
mine did that just b4 it failed MOT after i got a new linkage put it.

the linkage probs needs realligned, could be wrecked. check for fooked gearbox tho and if its none of the above it could be a fooked engine mount :O

Anonymous
24-11-01, 02:32 PM
How do i reallign? Or check for shafted gear box?

Anonymous
24-11-01, 04:52 PM
nah
check the linkage paul, make sure it looks ok, not too mcuh play. it might have slide in the holder, jack up front of car, undo the gear linkage (13mm+14mm bolt/nut) put it in neatral, make sure box is in neutral, then tighten back up

Anonymous
24-11-01, 06:09 PM
i always use reverse to set the gear linkage

it just seams easier all round

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
24-11-01, 07:21 PM
yup i use revrse too

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

e reg shell almost gone!!

Anonymous
25-11-01, 03:44 PM
Just look at the 'bible' (haynes manual)

Anonymous
25-11-01, 04:52 PM
what does it say? i cant be botherd to go in the garage.

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
25-11-01, 09:18 PM
lol @ Micky!!
Re. Haynes:Basically it tells to you make up a template to the dimensions given out of a bit of plywood or similar. This is then ( if made right) wedged into where the gear lever comes up from the tunnel and is aligned up to some locating marks. You use it to hold the gear lever in the correct position in neutral whilst the joint is tightened, much in the same way as you use reverse.