PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Front

Maimpreza
30-04-02, 12:10 PM
I recently bought some Gmax -30 springs from a m8! I was wondering if i would be able to just use the front springs and lower the front, as the back is already catching and it is standard! Will it affect the handling, and how hard are they to fit yourself?

Cheers

Toby
30-04-02, 12:30 PM
Handling will be a bit funny if you only lower the front. You'll get really bad nose diving when you brake over bumps etc.

Easy peasy job - see haynes manual

Get yourself some coil spring compressors from halfords and a good socket set and a metric 19 (I think) cranked spanner for the suspension tops. Haynes will tell you the rest.

Goto a garage and have them grind the rear lip of the arch back to about 3mm off the spot welds, spray with antirust stuff (plastic spary or something??) and roll the arches up. (prolly about ?30) - No more catching.

fleming
30-04-02, 06:15 PM
Could be that your rear springs are knackerd, hence its sitting to low. When i lowered my SR the 40mm lowering springs were pretty much identical length to the standard ones i removed. But obviously the standard springs were of a softer compound as not uprated, so its probably worth changing all four, this may stop your arch rub as well (stiffer spring) meaning you may not have to do arch mods. So i would do all four personnaly but its up to you.

ade
30-04-02, 10:18 PM
I agree with flemming. I have Gmax 60mm all round. Don't just lower front do them all. The amount of money you'll spend on rolling and respraying u could get a set of springs. Need to get yer lights adjusted too (they'll be lower than normal). See articles page for easy explanation of changing springs + haynes. Need compressors (?20 from halfords) - 19mm cranked neck spanner (took me ages to find one) and a length of scaffolding pole to get bloody good leverage on bolt! Good idea to get a couple of axle stands too. Be prepared to lose several layers of skin off knuckles when they come free. i had to drill one of mine out after threaded nut! Easy once u get it off though.
Ade

Maimpreza
01-05-02, 10:05 AM
Ive already had my arch lips grind off! The thing is ive got the wrong offset alloys,so the tyre catches when i go over speed humps etc But the problem also is the rear suspension does seem low for a standard set up thats why i thought i could just lower the front! Cheers!

pickle2000
01-05-02, 11:12 AM
What offset are your wheels, and is it a Mk1 or Mk2?

Maimpreza
01-05-02, 01:18 PM
MK 1 , Offset of 35 Smiths max 6.5 x 15 Khan RSR look alikes 195 45 15 tyres

Maimpreza
01-05-02, 09:31 PM
Nah they came from a shop! lol I bought them from autosport in Bolton and i said at the shop that a nova was a 49mm offset but they said nah it will be alright once we grind the lip off they wont catch!

mowgli
01-05-02, 10:17 PM
go round to the shop and threaten them with the sale of goods act. especially the bit about 'fit for the purpose' offer to call trading standards as well. the tyre offset is most probably illegal and would not pass an mot. sort the tyres first, then the springs.

Maimpreza
02-05-02, 08:27 AM
Ive already tried going to the company etc took my car up their and they wont take any responsablilty for it they are just c***s! So i might just sell the alloys! So i dont recommend Autosport in Bolton!

CP
02-05-02, 12:27 PM
Right there's 2 things you can do:
1. Assuming its no go returning the wheels and you can't afford to replace them (which is the best option), find a machine shop/engineering place in local yellow pages and get them to machine a bit off the back of the wheels where they mate to the hub as well as a bit off the brake hubs at the same time. This will go a fair way to getting your offset somewhere near right. But only take a few mm off each surface (ie 3 - 4) otherwise you could seriously compromise the strength in the wheels around the bolts! Best to reduce the brake hubs down more as they are not that stressed and are clamped solid between the wheels and wheel hub anyway. They should be able to advise you.
2. If poss. always match springs and shockers front and back. If you have got lowered G - max springs you really ought to get the shortened shockers to match - std ones will bottom out and wear out much quicker as well as making the handling shit and unnecessarily rough. The shortened shockers are also uprated which means that they have internal springs which help to lift the car a bit

Maimpreza
03-05-02, 12:00 AM
Cheers CP i think i might just try and sell the alloys!

fleming
03-05-02, 07:25 PM
If u had done some research before u bought the wheels then maybe u wouldnt be in this position, all it takes is a few posts on here or look through previous posts (theres enough of em!). Either that or have a good ring around before u buy wheels. Saves all this feckin grief

Maimpreza
04-05-02, 01:58 PM
I had done some research before m8! I told the company about the offset. I heard that if u shave the lip of your arch it would be ok this is what they told me. I thought they were supposed to be professional in their business but obviously not! And another point i always check previous posts! So dont start causing problems here this is what the forums are for! Im gonna get rid of the car soon anyway! Cheers for all the other help lads much appreciated!

ade
04-05-02, 02:19 PM
id still try n get yer cash back - trading standards al nab the gits - like wot mowgli said before. sales of goods act n that