PDA

View Full Version : Cooling system problem

cjslack
21-03-07, 05:39 PM
Hi

Have been having a major problem with my cooling system for about 2months now (1.0 nova). Every week or two i open the bonnet to find there is no cooling fluids left. there is some in the radiator but the expansion tank is bone dry. There are no leaking pipes that i can see and i have just chaged the head gasket but this has not solved the problem.:confused:

The cylinder head is also not cracked.

Does anyone have any ideas or is it worth doing a cheap fix and selling it. Then of course getting another nova lol . Love them...apart from this problem...:mad:

Thanks anyone that can help
chris

cjslack
21-03-07, 05:51 PM
bump

Lee-1984
21-03-07, 05:56 PM
do's your fan cut in on it?

the other option is rip the engine out and drop 1.4sr into it

cjslack
21-03-07, 05:58 PM
not sure.never actually seen the fan working lol.

as for the engine i might aswell just get another nova.

Lee-1984
21-03-07, 06:04 PM
not sure.never actually seen the fans working lol.

as for the engine i might aswell just get another nova.

how clean is your shell tho?

Adam
21-03-07, 06:06 PM
Sounds like headgaskets gone if you have no leaks.
Check the oil for signs of oil/coolant contamination.

cjslack
21-03-07, 06:09 PM
shell aint that clean.rust on arches and rusted thru above front lights. as for the head gasket i just changed it on saturday. did the whole thing. was mucky but wasnt blown

cjslack
21-03-07, 06:09 PM
oh and the oil is clean

cjslack
21-03-07, 06:30 PM
any other ideas?

cjslack
21-03-07, 07:48 PM
anyone?

tom reid
21-03-07, 08:10 PM
Someone is stealing you water. lol

Get the cololing system pressure tested, it must be losing water from somewhere, maybe inside the car, heater matrix.

cjslack
21-03-07, 08:17 PM
how would i test this. dont really want to put it into the garage becuase it would cost a fortune.

The mats are not wet anywhere though. So it wouldnt be coming into the actually interior.

either that or those tramps getting thirsty again lol

Jon_nova1
21-03-07, 08:49 PM
the water could be boiling, either dodgy water pump, blockage, thermostat or maybe the fan sensor gone? if its boiling and the radiator cap isn't sealing very well the water will just boil up and go throug there, is there any rust around the header tank?

SRI crazy
22-03-07, 09:37 AM
is there any tell tale signs round the header tank of the coolant boiling out of it, or are there any signs at the btm of the rad?

cjslack
22-03-07, 05:40 PM
Well have just flused the system 2 times. so should be a blockage. Water pump seems to be working fine. Thermostat has just being chaged(last month) and we have tested the fan(manually).
So cant szee it being any of those.

I will check to see if the radiotor has any signs of leaking when i get chance.Probly be the weekend. Nothing coming out of header tank either.

cheers for the help
chris