PDA

View Full Version : petrol problem

Anonymous
22-11-01, 06:22 PM
I have a K reg 1.4sr that is using loads of fuel, I get roughly 70 miles to a ?10.00 is this normal.My 1.4 sri you get about 125 miles to ? 10.00.
Any ideas why the sr is using so much fuel?

Anonymous
22-11-01, 08:04 PM
give it a full service and a tune :D

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

e reg shell almost gone!!

Anonymous
22-11-01, 08:39 PM
It could also be a pin hole leak in the flexible pipework at the carb or tank end. Also the tanks rust and can leak as well. Check the seal around the sender and around the retaining straps. Look for faded blotchy staining where the petrol has evaporated. Unless the leak if very bad you won't see any wetness as it evaporates. Have a good sniff around after a drive - you should be able to smell petrol if its leaking.

Anonymous
23-11-01, 02:24 AM
Yep, do as CP says....my fuel consumption went up quite a lot on my 1.3 and I wondered why....all the fuel pipes "looked" ok, but I replaced them anyway.
Whilst removing 'em, I found a couple of tiny holes in two of the pipes.
After fitting the new pipes (which cost me ?3 or ?4), the problem was sorted...back up to the usually MPG.

It's funny this subject should come up, 'cos I've noticed a slight fuel smell when accelerating hard in the GTE......I'm going to check all the fuel lines tomorrow, and replace any that look like they might be leaking....I've got loads of high pressure fuel pipe lying around, which is handy.

Anonymous
23-11-01, 10:00 AM
125 miles to a tenner?? At the moment i'm only gettin 150 miles to three quarters of a tank in my sri!!!! and It had all fuel lines replaced ear;ier this year coz i cracked a few ( speed bumps!!) Any ideas?? I'm unning engine treatment through the petrol at the mo but that shouldn't affect consumption should it??

For Sale- 15" TSW Stealths Good tyres offers??
35mm offset.

Taxed,tested and insured.Go chase criminals

Anonymous
23-11-01, 04:27 PM
depends on your driving style.

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
23-11-01, 04:37 PM
How much miles on average, can you get out of a 2 litre ?
driving it as many people normally would ??!