PDA

View Full Version : Lowering by 60mm

Anonymous
19-11-01, 10:38 PM
i have a nova 1300sr i want to lower this by 60mm using shocks and springs, will this ride ok, ive been told by someone today that theres a difference when lowering a nova mk1 and mk2 and the inner arches being different) can someone tell me if i will be affected, i will be using 16"wheels with the kit,

also on-line tuning kit second hand ?150
or
new gmax kit (need to know where to get one at a good price)

which one shall i pick, any ideas ?

cheers
Sy

Anonymous
20-11-01, 10:39 AM
go for a new gmax kit, buying second hand suspension can be dodgy as u don't know it's condition til u put it on your car!

the ride will be quite harsh and you'll notice the pot holes a lot more..lol

ride quality can also depend on tyre sizes (low profile tyres makes an even harsher ride)

not too sure about the differences in inner arches being different?!?! the only difference is the rear arches have less lip tan mk1's?

Nova Community
Visit: www.RoyBacer.co.uk
Email: Ged@RoyBacer.co.uk

Anonymous
20-11-01, 11:20 AM
G-Max stuff = Motech 01933 316066. I'd say that they're well worth it. The ride will be a lot rougher but cornering will be much improved. Fit an anti roll bar if you don't have one. You need to know what you are doing if you go for 2nd hand stuff - bit of a lottery really.
You ought to get a camber adjuster to fit the front turrets whilst you are at it otherwise you will wear the inside of the front tyres out in no time as lowering changes the camber geometry.
Each car is slightly different in how much the arches need to be modded when using 16" rims and above. Getting the right offset helps but doesn't solve all the problems. Only sure way is to get them fitted and then see what needs doing. The rear arches will scrub almost for sure and the fronts probably will too if you go for -60mm and 16" rims. The lips will need to be rolled or ground off.
Best handling will be got from using 15" rims or below which also avoids the arch scrub problems

Anonymous
20-11-01, 11:39 AM
Mines gone down 60mm on TSW 13's and as Ged said its fuc*in brutal at times and u notice potholes a lot more. you get used to it though and its not so bad once the shocks etc settle into the car.

Roll on 15's tho!!!!

grantrees@hotmail.com

Since when did London cabs and buses own the fuc*in roads ??!

Anonymous
20-11-01, 06:29 PM
gmax say they dont do a 60mm lowering kit for an sr,
ste says they do and this will fit with 16 no probs and look mint. so you reckon i should stay away from the second hand kits, im very tempted i must say, its only 6months old, ill have a long think think,

Anonymous
20-11-01, 11:10 PM
i got the g-max -60mm kit on mine running on 16"speedlines, i dont have any scrubage at all even with people in the back,

as ged said the ride is harsh'er however the handle'n is totaly transformed,

Anonymous
20-11-01, 11:41 PM
brian how long ago did you buy your kit, what spec car did you fit it to, eg sr 1.2merit ect, where did you get your kit from and how much di you pay, dont suppose you have a part number or item code do you.

No Wife
Great Life !!

Anonymous
21-11-01, 04:55 PM
its been on the car for about 2months now(1.0spin) i got mine from motech it was ?199.99 part no, GM40VA23L, ring them on 01933443390,

Anonymous
21-11-01, 05:14 PM
whats all this inner arch diffrences???

who told u that?

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
21-11-01, 07:09 PM
lad at halfords, since then ive been back to get some stuff for the nova, i while back this lad crashed his reno clio, hes olny gone and fitted his clio wheels to his corsa, 15s and not lowered, it looks like a roller skate, ha ha ha

anyway this lad said the inner arches are different and you cant lower more than 40mm or they will catch, just thought id see if there was any truth in it, obviously not !!!

BRIAN : do you have any pics of your car on the kit, how much clearance do you have betwwen tyre and arch front and back. cheers mate, SY

No Wife
Great Life !!

Anonymous
21-11-01, 07:09 PM
lad at halfords, since then ive been back to get some stuff for the nova, i while back this lad crashed his reno clio, hes olny gone and fitted his clio wheels to his corsa, 15s and not lowered, it looks like a roller skate, ha ha ha

anyway this lad said the inner arches are different and you cant lower more than 40mm or they will catch, just thought id see if there was any truth in it, obviously not !!!

BRIAN : do you have any pics of your car on the kit, how much clearance do you have betwwen tyre and arches front and back. cheers mate, SY

No Wife
Great Life !!

Anonymous
22-11-01, 10:07 AM
sy, i'll take a few pics and mail u them, it looks pritty low now that the springs have settled,

there is about 6-8mm gap between the tyre and the arch lip, so if you rolled the arches then there would be about 18mm clearence (rough guess)

Anonymous
22-11-01, 12:44 PM
Sy, go in, put him straight, then tell his manager that his staff talk shit

blag them saying that u have been inconvenienced by his wrong information, and try to blag sum free gear or summit!

Nova Community
Visit: www.RoyBacer.co.uk
Email: Ged@RoyBacer.co.uk

Anonymous
22-11-01, 05:12 PM
lesson to be learned here

ask the pros (us lot)
as everybody else talks complete and utter shite (inc vuaxhall dealerships)

i have recently been posting on cruiseboard a bit and there was a few peeps asking about wheels/tyres advice

sum ov the advice given was just plain bullshit

195 tyres will go on your lowerd nova without mods, it must be true a numpty from another site said so etc etc
LOL

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
22-11-01, 06:13 PM
cheers brian bb

i look forward to seein the pics.

sy

No Wife
Great Life !!