PDA

View Full Version : brakes!!! help please nova sport needs help

Anonymous
20-11-01, 12:18 AM
hiya right:
my driver saide caliper has seized (Bloody caliper) :(
so how much is this gonna set me back for renewal..iud do it myself buyt i will fcuk it up :D

so how difficult is this and how much dough am i lookin at!!!

"Saxo?, i'd rather walk!"

:D

Anonymous
20-11-01, 12:56 AM
where abouts r u? i might know of a set of gsi callipers for sale very soon with new pads and ok discs!! Will be much cheaper than gettin them done at a garage, and if u ask nicely can include fitting!

Anonymous
20-11-01, 02:42 AM
that happened on mine and i needed em fixing sharpish Hi Q did new caliper sliders, new discs and new pads fitted for ?110. not bad i thought, but i needed new discs and pads coz i barged on hoping it would fix itself and fucked the disc and pads, and theres no point replacing one disc at a time

when does anything fix itself?

B-) Streakers beware: Your end is in sight B-)

Anonymous
20-11-01, 11:01 AM
They can be split apart and overhauled OK. Its a question of prizing them apart by jamming a large screwdriver or similar down in between the pads and the disc on either side of the disc and smacking it all with a hammer until its open enuff to get it to slide off the disc. See Haynes. Once off its quite a simple design and usually all that is needed is a new set of seals and o rings which aint pricey and some emery cloth to clean up the barrel and piston which have usually gone rusty. Take care with the brake fluid as it caustic. You can buy clamps to stop all the oil in the brake line from draining out.

Anonymous
20-11-01, 11:05 AM
Oh yes and you'll need to replace the pads after you have given them grief to get it all apart. I just got some and they were about 13 squid

Anonymous
21-11-01, 12:03 AM
Do as CP says....my original Antibes callipers were fooked, so I got some Cav ones and GTE vented disks, but didn't re-con the callipers before fitting (doh!), and found that one was sticking on all the time.

I fitted new slider sleeves at both sides, but that didn't cure it, so then stripped the calliper that was causing the problem (passenger's side in my case), cleaned out the crap (loads of it too...no wonder it was sticking on!), fitting new seals etc, and it was spot on after that.

Talking of brakes....my GTE's doing the same thing....I didn't spot it on the test drive 'cos it doesn't do it at slow speeds, but slowing down from motorway speeds, it shudder's just like my Antibes used to :(
Ni mind.....an perfect excuse to get a big brake conversion :D
I did think it'd already got big front brakes 'cos they looks larger through the alloys, than the ones on the Antibes, but when I was swapping my alloys, I found I was mistaken and they're actually standard GTE ones...doh!

Anonymous
21-11-01, 12:36 AM
dicko matey i live in essex and u??

if u can get thgem call me

cheers mate!

"Saxo?, i'd rather walk!"

Anonymous
21-11-01, 12:41 AM
essex? feck. lol. hate to say this but collin smith has 2 sets for sale. i know he is down south!
But sure i will see if i can get you a price!!