PDA

View Full Version : Mpg

coochiSR
19-03-07, 05:49 PM
I am a bit miffed, got 110 miles out of ?21.00 of fuel (was 87.9 per litre at the time) which i have roughly worked out to be about 20mpg, which i seem a bit low, considering i was changing gear early on and i weren't driving flat out all the time, few full throttle blasts and 5k gear changes. Just seems really low for a 1992 1.4SR thats as good as standard part from an exhuast that won't make a differnce!!! Mind you the chock seems to be a bit sticky and was stuck on for a few 10miles. Any help would be nice!

Adam
19-03-07, 06:14 PM
Autochoke stuck on?

I get much more mpg than that on my engine.

Mike
19-03-07, 06:15 PM
I am a bit miffed, got 110 miles out of ?21.00 of fuel (was 87.9 per litre at the time) which i have roughly worked out to be about 20mpg, which i seem a bit low, considering i was changing gear early on and i weren't driving flat out all the time, few full throttle blasts and 5k gear changes. Just seems really low for a 1992 1.4SR thats as good as standard part from an exhuast that won't make a differnce!!! Mind you the chock seems to be a bit sticky and was stuck on for a few 10miles. Any help would be nice!

my SR, out of 42litre tank does approx 245miles

so work that out lol, dont know weathers its good or bad, the least ive managed was 180miles to a full tank lmao!

dannyb
19-03-07, 06:22 PM
Is the fuel guage a bit inaccurate (as mine is)? Also, when was the carb last set up properly? I was shocked to see that I only get about 28-30 mpg from my 1.2, but then you have to drive it hard to get about at any pace (and I do stop start Chinese delivery)!! Are you doing long journeys at all, or is that all stop start? I reckon I get about 40-45 mpg when sat at 70-75mph.

Adam
19-03-07, 06:22 PM
my SR, out of 42litre tank does approx 245miles

26mpg for 245miles
19mpg for 180 miles

coochiSR
19-03-07, 06:25 PM
Its mostly start stop, but tghen in the evening if i sit somehwre for 15mins then ill leave it running and yeah ad i think it is. Dannyb :- It was set up begining of year when i rebuilt it.

Mike
19-03-07, 06:31 PM
26mpg for 245miles
19mpg for 180 miles

woooho! that wasnt all that suprising tho :D as it get thru about ?60 of feul a week! :mad:

roll on EFi :D

coochiSR
19-03-07, 06:33 PM
how do you drive it thou? flat out?

Mike
19-03-07, 06:35 PM
how do you drive it thou? flat out?

not really no, a quick blast now an again but thats about it! i do lots and LOTS of miles lol, as i work in difference places every month :cry:

coochiSR
19-03-07, 06:36 PM
so its not town stuff then? long range?

Mike
19-03-07, 06:54 PM
no its mainly like daul carrigeways, urban expressways kinda driving, some motorway too

about 4% of it would be sitting in traffic in towns, the rest is constant driving :D had the carb re-jetted and timing sorted, vac advance and choke unit we're replaced lol, its just the how the car was set up

But, bigger engine or break it now so it doesnt really bother me tbh

coochiSR
19-03-07, 06:56 PM
lol fair doos, im gonna get another pieburg (CHEAP!) rebuild that and set it all, see what difference that makes! just wondeirng wether it was bad for the engine.

Mike
19-03-07, 06:58 PM
lol fair doos, im gonna get another pieburg (CHEAP!) rebuild that and set it all, see what difference that makes! just wondeirng wether it was bad for the engine.

well, i did have a brand new DTML for a while, i got that setup professionaly at Aldon Auto, an my god, that was so ace! Then my car threw a hissy fit of electrical problems, so i sold it to fund repairs!

Put the pierburg back on and it was ok but hey ho, just sold it on eBay, ?67 complete with Pipercorss filter :thumb:

coochiSR
19-03-07, 07:03 PM
the pieburg for 67 quid! and what was it better on fuel with DTML or 2E3?

Mike
19-03-07, 07:13 PM
the pieburg for 67 quid! and what was it better on fuel with DTML or 2E3?

yeah the pierbirg for ?67 :D i sold the DTML, had about 10mile on the clock for ?132! cost me ?254 :tard:

erm, tbh i dont really know, but i would imagine it would be better with the 2E3, at Aldon, with the DTML on, Alan was saying that it will run slighty lean even tho hes set it up, as the DTML has bigger choke mass so will use more fuel

BUT i can safely say i found that theres definetly a noticable improvement in throttle repsonse AND power with a DTML! :thumb:

coochiSR
19-03-07, 07:20 PM
coolies, i got told it wouldnt really effect fuel comsupmtion that much with DTML but if it needs to run lean then that makes sense!

Mike
19-03-07, 07:24 PM
coolies, i got told it wouldnt really effect fuel comsupmtion that much with DTML but if it needs to run lean then that makes sense!

i suppose its really down to the use of car though with regards to the fuel consumption like

its just ive been arsing about with SR engines nows since about 2004, an ive only just decided to move onto EFi lol wish me luck :D simple engines to ever so slighty more complicated lmao!

coochiSR
19-03-07, 07:27 PM
oooo okies lucky you and slighty more compliated???

Mike
19-03-07, 07:29 PM
oooo okies lucky you and slighty more compliated???

hahaha i know yeah!! should be erm, fun!!

garyc
19-03-07, 08:34 PM
I watched that carb on eBay I couldnt believe how much it went to. Hopefully mine will reach that much once i've cleaned it up and bunged it on there!

Mike
19-03-07, 10:00 PM
I watched that carb on eBay I couldnt believe how much it went to. Hopefully mine will reach that much once i've cleaned it up and bunged it on there!

hahaa! ace lol ive got even more stuff up on there now lol im in the process of clearing ALL my left over random car parts out the house, made about ?1k in the last few months lol