PDA

View Full Version : latest in the 2.0l 8v saga ! - Clutch ?

Anonymous
19-11-01, 10:19 AM
Right, on Saturday I stripped my engine down, removed the box, cylinder head, alternator, timing belt and pulleys etc.

Went to a place in Southall and bought a fully reconditioned bottom end (3/4 Unit) for ?250. It came with new pistons and rings, new sump, new oil pump, bored out for new pistons to 2.1, new sump gasket etc its in very good condition.

Spent the remainder of Saturday putting it all back together again.

However, here?s my problem, and there?s always some sort of bastard of a problem.

I had to take the clutch off the old 3/4 unit and re fit it to the new one, while it was off the car we decided to separate it from the flywheel and have a look at the condition of it.

It looks fine so we put it back together and refitted it and put the box back on.

What I need to know is should I have used a clutch alignment tool to make sure it was central before re fitting the box. I haven't put the engine back in the car yet so if necessary I will take the box back off and align it correctly.

In the Haynes manual it says to use an alignment tool but I called my local car shop and they said that you don't need to use this tool on the 2.0l 8v model???

Has anyone fitted a clutch to a 2.0l 8v cavalier engine before, as I need to know what to do before I refit the engine one evening in the week?

:D 2.0l 8v. It will work one day !!! :D

Anonymous
19-11-01, 12:08 PM
lol if the box has fitted back on it's aligned

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

e reg shell almost gone!!

Anonymous
19-11-01, 12:16 PM
between the flywheel and the clutch housing there is the clutch plate which can be moved around untill you have tightened the clutch housing bolts up, in the workshop manual it says that the hole that the transmission rod goes into should be cetralised using an alignment tool. When I put the clutch back on, the hole in the middle of the clutch plate wasn't in the middle of the hole in the clutch housing. (this is very difficult to describe)

so, if you were to draw two circles, one inside the other and the smaller circle was slightly off centre inside the bigger one. Thats what it looked like once bolted back on the 3/4 unit.
The transmission rod went in o.k when the box was fitted back on, and bolted back into place o.k. However if the clutch plate isn't in the centre when the flywheel turns it wont spin the transmission rod evenly will it ?

Does this make sense ????

:D 2.0l 8v. It will work one day !!! :D

Anonymous
19-11-01, 01:22 PM
The friction plate is free to move, and the only reason they tell u to use an alignment tool, is so that you can get the shaft back in. If you managed to get it in, then the plate has moved to the centre. The only thing that holds it there is the sprung mechanism of the clutch, so the first time you depress the clutch pedal, it will release and be 100% centre anyway, so trust Ste when he says its aligned. You should never need to use an alignment tool unless you are really crap.

**Why take 16V's onto the track when u can use 8?**

Anonymous
19-11-01, 01:27 PM
I've never had to do one, but my mate is a vauxhall mechanic and he once told me that they all do it by eye, without the special tool.

Anonymous
19-11-01, 05:16 PM
yeah ive never even seen the proper tool!

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
19-11-01, 06:20 PM
lol if you ever have to fit a box in a rover 825d you will get sick of seeing the tool. and make sure u have 5 yes 5 peeps to hold the rovers box up

also think about it... if u were changing the clutch through the access panel u couldn't use the tool :D

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

e reg shell almost gone!!

Anonymous
19-11-01, 07:41 PM
They're right you know

Anonymous
19-11-01, 10:12 PM
lol @ CP

**Why take 16V's onto the track when u can use 8?**