PDA

View Full Version : some old fart just crashed into me

bigbened
17-03-07, 11:18 PM
Driving allong today, some old codger decided he was going to change lanes without looking or indicating ****, anyway thease are the results
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m190/bigbened/DSC00261.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m190/bigbened/DSC00260.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m190/bigbened/DSC00259.jpg
i am unsure what to do where insurance is concerned as i dont want to claim, i think i am just going to get q quote on repairing the damage and try and get him to pay

i need a new door/skin, a mirror, small crese filled in the rear arch and the door/rear quarter resprayed

burgo
17-03-07, 11:20 PM
why dont you want to claim?? it will come out of his insrance

Mike
17-03-07, 11:23 PM
why dont you want to claim?? it will come out of his insrance

and write the car off, thus resulting in it being bought back off the insurers for scrap value (mine cost me ?30) BUT it will most likely need a VIC check (even tho its panel damage only) AND will then be on HPi lol

burgo
17-03-07, 11:25 PM
sometimes you can insist its repaired tho

Gunzi
17-03-07, 11:26 PM
Seconded if he was at fault then you can claim from his insurance. I doubt you'd get very far if you payed for the repairs and then tried to claim the money back from him. I take it you've insured your alloys etc.........?

bigbened
17-03-07, 11:35 PM
i dont want him claiming from me though as he has a few dents and scrapes too, i have told him im getting a quote and giving it to him so he can falk out the dolars as he was quick to say he wanted to keep it out of the insurance he probably cant afford the premium so i think he will pay

draper
18-03-07, 09:15 AM
but ecven if his car is dented its still his fault therefore his insurance company pay for the repairs

edit - looks quite clean so you want a proper repair job imo

mowgli
18-03-07, 09:49 AM
If he refused to give you his insurance details, he is actually breaking the law, & if you went to the police, he would get about 9 points & a big fine.

If he starts taking the p1ss, then use it as leverage

Philsutton
18-03-07, 11:35 AM
i dont want him claiming from me though as he has a few dents and scrapes too,

if he drove into you he has no base for a claim

rednova
18-03-07, 12:58 PM
any witnesses?

ade
18-03-07, 01:53 PM
working in insurance I'd say put a claim in - most insurers give you about 30 days to lodge a claim - doing it privately can cause MAJOR headaches (youve no way of making him pay for the damage and he may want the work done somewhere else). Lodge a claim and it will be non fault - thus not affect your premium.

Its possible the car will be written off as you dont know what the underlying damage is (hes hit the B pillar so there may be subtle ripples down the rear 1/4 panel) - depending on insurance company they may repair it - most will write off tho on catagory D (which means you can repair it and stick it back on road) simply because of age of car.

I recommend you to make a claim - underlying damage and hastle just isnt worth it.

And as mentioned above he cannot refus you his details - unless he was uninsured. I HOPE you got his name.address and registration at least.

Oh - and if he was uninsured it will go down as fault claim (which means you will lose ncd if unprotected) - fault claims in this instance arise where the insurer cant recover repair costs from the 3rd party...

Finally - where there any witnesses? I say this because HE mak try to make a claim against you - saying you pulled into him. His age against yours etc...young lad not paying attention etc...seen it happen and its a bitch to disprove if no witnesses!

If that happens your both to blams and your ncd will drop!

bigbened
18-03-07, 10:20 PM
there was no whitneses there, i got his name, adress/phone number but have lost his reg so im going to go round and get it.

i have decided to get a few quotes tomorrow and go round and try and get him to pay. if not then i think the insurance will be involved.

how does it work, do they come round and inspect the car or is it taken to a garage?

Jack
18-03-07, 10:25 PM
Lodge a claim and it will be non fault - thus not affect your premium.
Not so, unfortunately a lot of insurers up your premium even if you were not at fault.

bigbened
18-03-07, 10:37 PM
yep thats why i dont want to as im on my old mans so he will get screyd over aswell, i think

*sr-sam*
18-03-07, 10:40 PM
This happend to me however mine was a bit worse,they send out someone to look at it and tell you if its a write off or not. it might be best you dont go through your insurance depending on how much your cars worth. they let me have mine back but they wrote it off. i'd have to get all the checks done and re-mot it to get it back on the road.

bigbened
18-03-07, 10:54 PM
for the sake of a door and the rear quarter sprayed i cant be botherd with the insurance hastle to be honest. I just cant wait to get fixing it now

Novadex
19-03-07, 03:32 PM
He will just say "Whats the point of me having insurance, if im going to fork out with the repairs myself". Claim or pay yourself, thats your only options mate.

Stuart
19-03-07, 03:50 PM
hmm sounds like your fronting as it is..... getting the insurance involved might get messy lol.

lee coley
19-03-07, 03:58 PM
Claim of his insurance,

Last year i had an accident there was an oldish bloke that pulled in front of me and wrote my car off,his insurance paid me out 1800quid and also left me with the car,(they valued it at 2000quid and 200 quid in scrap value)i then had 1800 to fit a new bonnet,wing,head lights and bumper,cost me about 300quid in panels and paint.

Also i got 1700quid for the damage to my neck and back.

My mate had his astra van bumped into,he got 3 quotes and i gave him a quote that was cheaper than the rest,the insurance paid him within a week of sending the quote in,It cost me 100 quid for a bumper and bonnet! 150quid went on paint and primer(we decided to paint the whole van Harden blue) Still having 200quid left he paid for my holiday in Tenerife!!

Novadex
19-03-07, 04:22 PM
holiday in Tenerife!!

lmao you just reminded me of the end of this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tinn-cRVEG4

lee coley
19-03-07, 04:25 PM
lmao you just reminded me of the end of this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tinn-cRVEG4

haha thats funny!just shows ya lee evans is tellin the truth!!:thumb:

bigbened
19-03-07, 08:21 PM
well its all sorted now, i think lol

he did say he wasnt paying, so i told him that i had got a quote and gave him one last chance to pay 350quid or i would take it to the insurance. He said the insurance option would be silly as they would write it off and so i told him that that was that and i was going to claim from him.

i gave him 3mins and sure enough he was back on the phone telling me he was dropping the cheque round tomorrow morning. yey

cant wait to get her looking even better than before:thumb: