View Full Version : xe gone bad

stafford
17-03-07, 09:55 PM
ive been building an xe, ive had the
crank balenced,
flywheel refaced,
arp bolts,
ported head and skimmed and re lapped the valves

today i went to chris astleys got a z20let steel head gasket and put the head on, got to stage 3 of tightening the head bolts and bang ive stripped the block, does any one have any way of sorting it out, the last thing i need is to change the block now.

cheers lads
:thumb:

Jon_nova1
17-03-07, 10:35 PM
you stripped the thread from the block?? how tight did you do them??

you can get kits thats basically a tube with a thread in the middle and you drill out the old one and put this tube in place, you could also see if you can get thicker bolts for another car and get a tap and die set to rethread the old holes bigger?

Philsutton
17-03-07, 10:54 PM
did you clean out the thread before you started to reassemble? Never stripped thread in a block before. Come very very close to snapping bolts though lmfao

london_chris
18-03-07, 12:35 AM
u get a rethreading kit, drill it into block and redose the threads altho then you need slightly wider bolts which will be hard to find as they are stretch bolts

Adam
18-03-07, 12:43 AM
you can get kits thats basically a tube with a thread in the middle and you drill out the old one and put this tube in place, you could also see if you can get thicker bolts for another car and get a tap and die set to rethread the old holes bigger?
Heli-coiling

Not sure if that can be done on those threads tho.
Never heard of the thread stripping before, sure it wasn't cross threaded or anything?

stafford
18-03-07, 02:40 PM
ive put arp bolts on the big end's and the grease i got with them i used some on the head bolts first to see if they went in ok.
i think im goin to see if i can get studs for it my mate had them on his 1.6 nova surely they make them for the xe.

coombsey
18-03-07, 02:43 PM
i did this to my xe is the hole with the dowl in i had both of mine heli coiled 60 quid was you using the 11mm x 105mm or the 11mm x 110mm i was using the shorter one and was supposed to be using the longer ones

stafford
18-03-07, 02:49 PM
i know about that and mine first come with the shorter one's which i did use ill see what the local engineering shop say cheers lads

coombsey
18-03-07, 05:20 PM
i changed heads and ordered the same as my old head had not thinking had to order the longer ones after worked a treat