PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket and Timing Belt

Anonymous
13-11-01, 04:11 PM
For those of you unfamiliar with my cuurent engine situation, read the post below titled Technical Question - 2.0l 8v.

Im going to get another 2.0l 8v engine and use the bottom end in my car. I want to try and use the head that I have spent money rebuilding on the new bottom end. However, will I be able to use the head gasket and timing belt from the reconditioned head. The head was fitted on saturday and the timing belt last night. the car has been running for about 15 mins since then and only driven about 500 yards. So when I take the head back off do I need to buy a new head gasket and timing belt or can I use the existing ones.

Anonymous
13-11-01, 04:27 PM
yup you CAN'T use old headgaskets... and it's up to u to RISK an used cambelt if u want

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

e reg shell almost gone!!

Anonymous
13-11-01, 04:58 PM
would being fitted for 3 days and only driven on for about 25 seconds render it as USED ?

Anonymous
13-11-01, 06:29 PM
yup

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

e reg shell almost gone!!

Anonymous
13-11-01, 08:46 PM
the head gasket is presurised and compressed when u tighten the head bolts. If u take it off and refit it is compressed again, so it will be weaker!

Anonymous
13-11-01, 11:49 PM
he's got a point. might me worth seeing of the heads need skimming cos if the bolts were not tightend perfectly it could have warped and if you fit a new gasket it could blow straight away

Performance Car Audio - http://customize.9f.com

Anonymous
14-11-01, 03:35 PM
u can buy headgasket sealent which is supposed to give extra protection egainst leaks. u cud try this and it might work but you will difinetly need new headbolts, the cam belt will be fine.

when i was busy fixing mine i was torquing up the head and snapped a brand new headbolt, i took my head back off and fitted a new set ov head bolts and reused the head gasket (which had only been on 20mins) i didnt have a problem.

but genrally u shouldnt really do this

Micky@novaload.net :)