PDA

View Full Version : re-inforced engine mount home made!!

James P
16-03-07, 07:36 PM
do you think this will work on my 2.0ltr 16v?

ive ripped 3 new engine mounts now...
went round my mates house the other day who just got loads of 2nd hand nova parts off this guy and saw an engine mount that some1 had made!

they have put a rubber exhaust bracket holder thing in the mount so i thought id try it.
heres some pics.

before.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p174/jamezp/enginemount.jpg

so i put it in a vise and put a screw driver in the mount, then prised the mount open,

sprayed loads of WD40 in the gap then pushed the rubber exhaust thing in the gap, then let the mount squash it into place. its in there really f**king tight.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p174/jamezp/DSC00221.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p174/jamezp/DSC00222.jpg
but will it fall out with the vibrations and ware and tear?ive also been told to tigerseal the other gaps. but where the hell do you get it from or does anyone know any other product to use.???????:thumb:

Jon_nova1
16-03-07, 07:42 PM
you should be able to get it from a motor factor, cant you just buy a better engine mount?

Ernie
16-03-07, 07:44 PM
or just pull away a bit slower lol.

James P
16-03-07, 07:47 PM
the re-inforced 1's are ?150. and they wont sell mounts seperately. ive looked everywhere and this was my last result.

Jon_nova1
16-03-07, 07:52 PM
have you tried competition mounts?

James P
16-03-07, 08:12 PM
?150

tom reid
16-03-07, 08:15 PM
New standard mount is around ?39.00

Jon_nova1
16-03-07, 08:20 PM
i think its worth getting them

http://www.chrisastleymotorsport.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=45&osCsid=3003eceacfaea56ce3c902d3154bd42e

it'd save messing about with standard ones, have you emailed ChrisAstley and asked if they'd seperate?

James P
16-03-07, 08:25 PM
yes mate ive done that. they wont splitt. trust me ive tryed everything

Jon_nova1
16-03-07, 08:27 PM
just get the mounts, you wont have to mess with the mounts again lol

General Baxter
16-03-07, 08:41 PM
just use tiger seal, ?12.99 from my local factors, will do all the mounts

its that good it holds my car/van thingy together lol

Philsutton
16-03-07, 08:53 PM
Stop being a pikie an get the proper mounts, they will make a big difference

General Baxter
16-03-07, 09:16 PM
Stop being a pikie an get the proper mounts, they will make a big difference

would do if they did a drivers side mount :thumb:

R1CH
16-03-07, 11:57 PM
If done right filling them with tiger seal / bits of rubber works, I've done a few 1000 miles with them done in my LET and there still ok.
I started with a 1/2 decent mount & cleaned it all with contact cleaner to remove oil / grease ect ... Tack welded a plate over the back to blank it off, got some old bits of Poly Bush and cut it in to small bits, filled about a 3rd of the mount with Tiger seal then wedged the bits of Ploy Bush in, gave it a day or so to harden then stuck more bits of Poly Bush in any gaps then sealed them in with some moer Tiger Seal .... Jobs done, 1 pretty much solid mount fort about ?10 !!

Rich

James P
17-03-07, 11:07 AM
thanx for that rich, guna try and get some of that tiger seal and do what you've just said.

Paul
17-03-07, 09:12 PM
'proper' mounts or competion mounts are uselsss for road use, they make the ride ****. I also have sealed my mounts, just used like normal silicon, seemes to have done the trick so far.

stafford
17-03-07, 10:02 PM
get some off chris your mrs will love it

Sirnixalot
18-03-07, 11:43 AM
ive done this to numerous cars with 3M window weld (not sure if you can get it across here)

the tiger seal would do the same thing but would probably be a little stiffer.

dont fill the mount all at once otherwise it takes ages to dry, if you fill it about 10-15mm at a time and let it stand infront of a space heater it will dry quicker (i was in a rush once and this worked well)

to all those people singing "buy a mount", have you no engineering spirit? you can get 90% of the benefits for 10% of the cost...whats not to like?:wtf:

R1CH
18-03-07, 08:44 PM
to all those people singing "buy a mount", have you no engineering spirit? you can get 90% of the benefits for 10% of the cost...whats not to like?:wtf:
:thumb:

Chris Astley
21-03-07, 01:42 PM
yes mate ive done that. they wont splitt. trust me ive tryed everything

I do sell them seperately, ?50 each if you need a single competition mount!

Chris

Stuart
21-03-07, 02:14 PM
to all those people singing "buy a mount", have you no engineering spirit? you can get 90% of the benefits for 10% of the cost...whats not to like?

plus your not lining some rip off merchants pockets :D

loggyboy
21-03-07, 02:59 PM
Its not even as little as 90%, ive heard many reports that the pro mounts are far too hard for road use and only really suit full track/comp use. where standard mounts uprated with polyurthane such as tiger or sikaflex give a good increase in stability without making it so hard you feel every move the engine makes.

Im very impressed with the mounts i made using sikaflex, less ?10 of sealant (with enough spare to do a mount or 2 more) and half hour of time and ive got a great product.

http://www.loggyboy.com/images/MeritMk2/EngMounts2.jpg

Sirnixalot
21-03-07, 03:03 PM
Its not even as little as 90%, ive heard many reports that the pro mounts are far too hard for road use and only really suit full track/comp use. where standard mounts uprated with polyurthane such as tiger or sikaflex give a good increase in stability without making it so hard you feel every move the engine makes.

Im very impressed with the mounts i made using sikaflex, less ?10 of sealant (with enough spare to do a mount or 2 more) and half hour of time and ive got a great product.

thats good work :thumb:

craig green
21-03-07, 04:12 PM
Ive used the reinforcing method a few times now, even repairing knackered mounts.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/NovaGSi-WIP_pics/work_in_progress019.jpg
Theres M12 stainless nuts hiding in that mount!

I recommend this stuff for the job....

High temperature gasket sealant
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/AdhesivesampSealants/Sealants/d180/sd2350

product 66124 on that page. Cheap as chips & good for XE sump gaskets too.

Chris Astley
22-03-07, 03:52 PM
The noise transmitted from proper competition mounts isnt down to the mounts being to stiff causing the noise, but infact that the standard sloppy mounts act as a damper for engine harmonics e.t.c. from a tired/unbalanced engine. a engine with properly balanced engine internals generate little if any vibration through the shell.

Chris

Sirnixalot
22-03-07, 04:06 PM
inline 4 engines will ALWAYS generate vibrations, its down to the fact that pistons 1 and 4 (or 2&3) are traveling down faster than pistons 2 and 3 (or 1&4) are traveling up.

Getting balancing done will reduce some of it but not as much as you would think. Stock mounts are made soft to absorb these vibrations, the competitions mounts dont soak up much of the vibration that is already present.

loggyboy
24-03-07, 11:46 AM
inline 4 engines will ALWAYS generate vibrations, its down to the fact that pistons 1 and 4 (or 2&3) are traveling down faster than pistons 2 and 3 (or 1&4) are traveling up.

Not knowing much about the physics of it, but i dont see how that can be physically possible, unless anyparts of the crank/shats etc are flexible.. which they are not.

stv-b16a
24-03-07, 10:33 PM
???????????? wtf!

James P
24-03-07, 10:48 PM
ha ha. that made me laugh..

stv-b16a
24-03-07, 10:54 PM
????? inertia,rocking motion,mathmatic moments ect. all cause vibrations. more so in a 4 cyl motor than say a 3 cyl one. its all physics and mathmatics and im not goin to go into it on a sat night.

stv-b16a
24-03-07, 10:55 PM
my mate has a kawasaki green, kawasaki powered mini clubman.

Sirnixalot
25-03-07, 01:23 PM
actually a 3 cyl motor is much worse than a 4 cyl as 2 pistons are moving in the opposite direction as 1 so it causes the engine to wobble on the cranks axis.

in case anyone was wondering im doing a motorsport technology and engineering degree :)

loggyboy
26-03-07, 02:31 PM
So explain how 4 pistons connected by fixed, metal cranks that are connected to a crank shaft that is spining at the same speed thoughout its length can move at different speeds to each other??

dathers
26-03-07, 03:18 PM
'proper' mounts or competion mounts are uselsss for road use, they make the ride ****. I also have sealed my mounts, just used like normal silicon, seemes to have done the trick so far.
I agree totally with this coment!!
Because there is hardly any 'give' in the mounts all the engine vibration goes straght into the shell which gave mine way too much interior noise for my liking(nova c20xe)
After a few months it got too much so i did the polybush/tiger seal thing with all three mounts.