PDA

View Full Version : 4 Branch Manifold

Anonymous
12-11-01, 10:38 PM
I am considering buying one of these to put on my Nova GSi.

Do you get good power gains?

Are they alot louder?

Anonymous
12-11-01, 10:45 PM
if u have a cat and eliminates it then yea, other wise u will get minimal gains above around 4200rpm and a drop in low end torque. also it will make more noise at the front.

Anonymous
12-11-01, 11:36 PM
Mine (gte) picks up a lot better all round when reved hard and that "noise" is fapin fantastic when coupled wid a big valve head and full system!

Music to my ears!

Daz9124@aol.com

Twitchin like a pigs eye!

Anonymous
13-11-01, 07:15 AM
The reason people say that a 4-branch gives a drop in low end torque is that the gasses cool much quicker through the thin metal, and therefore do not travel as fast, but the very poor design of the standard manifold (especially ports 2&3) restrict flow so much that this is more than overcome by the far superior flow rate of a decent 4-branch. The best type to go for is a 4-2-1. Supposedly a 4-1 gives higher peak power, but this is not neccessarily true, and the 4-2-1 definately gives better low down torque. Try to find a manifold with a longer primary pipe (cylinder to first junction) as this needs to be around 30" long to give optimum performance and anything else is a compromise. After that there should be about 10" before the second and final junction. Apparently the flow of the gasses is more to do with reasonance and sound waves (like a musical instrument) than normal fluid flow, so its important to get the right dimensions.

**Why take 16V's onto the track when u can use 8?**

Anonymous
14-11-01, 03:03 PM
i bought a 4-2-1 sportex one a while back wiv the whole sytem it cost me ?235 fink it was bout ?90 for the manifold though

Anonymous
14-11-01, 03:12 PM
wrap heat-resistant cloth around the branchs (?2.50 per metre from Midlands Performance Cetnre, Walsall). Really holds the heat in too. The difference it made to heat escaping was amazing. Only thing is the cloth dumbs the noise. suppost to give move BHP too due to stopping heat escaping. On my 1.4 SRi the revs go mad after 4500 they shoot up. I got mine from Ashley, well pleased