PDA

View Full Version : 1600sv advice

Anonymous
11-11-01, 09:14 PM
ive been told by a few people on the site this is an easy engine upgrade that will go well into a 1300sr. i need to know whats involved in fitting the engine and basically any advice or help that people can give me would be grate. also what kind of power does this engine produce.

thanx in advance

simon

Anonymous
11-11-01, 09:42 PM
It produces 82PS or there abouts as standard (Vauxhall figure) and is basically a GTE engine, but with a less good head, and a carb instead of injection.

Have you seen my post on this subject?
It's only one page down, titled MKIII Cav 1.6 Engine...see this link: http://www.novaload.net/forums/forum.asp?ref=14569&id=2&desc=Technical+forum&mpp=&sort=

There's loads of very useful info on there ;)

Anonymous
11-11-01, 10:42 PM
what does a gte produce

Anonymous
12-11-01, 12:24 AM
100BHP

=======================
If there's grass on the pitch... :D

Anonymous
12-11-01, 12:41 AM
more info
1600sv
82bhp/60kw @5400rpm
96Lb-ft/130Nm @ 2600rpm
10:1 compression
maximum continuos speed = 6000rpm

basically to fit into an sr u will need the engine, the engine loom, and the dizzy+coil and a suitable gearbox (f13).
Same fuel lines, drive shafts, mounts. I think its same water hoses, looks the same anyway.
thats about it!

Anonymous
12-11-01, 09:38 PM
Water hoses will be the same if you currently have the Pierburg 2E3, which I know you do Simon.....the Cav engine uses the same 2E3 just with different jets etc.

Loom depends what you keep and what you throw away.....see the post I linked to above which talks about what to do with the loom....keep things simple....you don't need the Cavs ECU etc, just keep the SR dizzy etc.
It's all in the link anyway ;)

Anonymous
12-11-01, 10:23 PM
82 hp aint much compared to a nova gte at 100. id prefere to do a gte/gsi conversion but had mixed views regarding looms. i dont know what to do. argh

Anonymous
12-11-01, 11:14 PM
the injection unit adds more weight ansd would b a more expensive option as ud b looking at ?40+ for fuel lines, and ?60+ for a tank+pump.
But obviosly the GTe engine is much nicer to run and shud b much smoother. Also no pissin about with a choke, cold starts, hickups etc!

Anonymous
12-11-01, 11:36 PM
To be honest, by the time you fork out for an engine swap, you may as well get a GTE to start off with....that's exactly what I decided to do!

Insurance will be kinder that way too.....it's cheaper to insure a standard GTE, than to insure a GTE engined SR, 'cos the SR is modded!

I've been really surprised what you can get for not a lot of cash...remember, my GTE was only ?495!!!
Most at that price are heaps though, so look carefully. I know you've just got that new shell though, so you probably won't want to get another car, but it's just a thought ;)

P.S. I still haven't e-mailed you back have I...doh