PDA

View Full Version : removing driveshafts?

big gra
15-03-07, 10:07 AM
are they attached in the hubs or do they just "pop out"! im swapping engines today and dont know how to get them out?

James P
15-03-07, 10:26 AM
undo the crown bolt, (the bolt that goes on the end of the shafts) dissconect you suspension and bottom arm, then hold your drive shaft, push it in and then pull it out with abit of force! should come out of the engine. hope that made sence. it really aint hard. infact are you sure you should be doing an engine swap if you cant even get drive shafts out? hope it goes well tho.

loggyboy
15-03-07, 10:58 AM
It will require leverage to remove the inner cvs from the gearbox, and usually the passenger side one is harder to remove and will require some force to get it out. (best to get two lever bars/ large flat screwdrivers and try and lever evenly on each side of the cv.)

Dar
15-03-07, 11:12 AM
I just get the driveshaft free from the hub and then yank them out like James P says. Its the easiest way. You can also do it loggyboy's way but I only ever do that if there isn't a driveshaft attached to the inner CV.

Adam
15-03-07, 12:13 PM
I leave the driveshaft bolted loosely to the hub, undo the bottom ball joint.
And then use the hub as kind of a slide hammer, few pulls towards you and the shaft just pops out.
Never failed me.

As for the hub end, they just slide in and have a big 30mm nut to hold them. They "should" push straight out, but sometimes need a bit of hammer action to move them.

Welsh Dan
15-03-07, 01:18 PM
Make sure you've got a deep 30mm socket to get the nut off the ends of the shafts. I just undid the castle nut then the balljoint and turned the steering to full lock (turn to the right if you're doing the left shaft) and pulled the outer end from the hub, then popped the inner cv out of the box with a crowbar.

If you're going to be sticking with a smallblock gearbox though you'd get away with just pulling the inner CV's out.

Ernie
15-03-07, 01:22 PM
I leave the driveshaft bolted loosely to the hub, undo the bottom ball joint.
And then use the hub as kind of a slide hammer, few pulls towards you and the shaft just pops out.
Never failed me.

As for the hub end, they just slide in and have a big 30mm nut to hold them. They "should" push straight out, but sometimes need a bit of hammer action to move them.

Thats how i do them aswel so it aint just me using brute force and ignorance lol.

greg1.4
15-03-07, 02:19 PM
i do them just by taking the strut off, taking the 30mm nut off the end of the shaft and then putting the steering full lock and i can slide it out the hub end end then push the shaft in to the gearbox then pull it out. Easy.

SRI crazy
15-03-07, 02:55 PM
i ususally take the nut off a bit and spray wd40 or summit in round them and then giv them a tap with a hammer an the take the nut off and hit them out lol

big gra
15-03-07, 03:04 PM
thatnks guys, realy good advice there! will let you know how it goes on, ive swopped engines before but mainly landrovers so the gearbox usuallly stays in place!!

Jon_nova1
15-03-07, 07:06 PM
i just undo the suspension from the hub, push it as far as it goes then yank it lol

Stanley
15-03-07, 07:19 PM
i find sticking full lock on, starting car, selecting 1st or 2nd rev the tits off it then sidestep the clutch aids removing driveshafts hehe.

Nah go for LLTN's method and youre on a winner!:thumb:

big gra
16-03-07, 12:35 AM
got the engine out today, found the best way was to remove suspension strut bolts, undo the bottom arm and give a yank on the hub! got my engine to take out now and replace with the one i removed from the doner car!

Ernie
16-03-07, 01:16 AM
keep up the good work.