PDA

View Full Version : FAO Breeny? brenny? the one who just broke the nova turbo

ste porter
14-03-07, 11:14 PM
This is abit of a strange one but a friend of mine (TomSBD on here and known on mig he had a throttle boddied corsa gsi xe ) has just brought a turbo engine of you and i was woundering if you could tell me why exactly the impellor (sp)housing on the turbo has beed modified.

The reason i ask is because at the moment we are doing a let conversion on a gte (see wip) and he asked me if i would swop the housings with him as he wants a normal one and that one is aparently better suited for a nova.

Is there any reason that this has been modified other than to suit your own set up or does this mod make it easier to fit and give a little more room when fitting a let to a nova?

For those who dont know what i mean the intake side of the turbo usualy has the intake tube almost vertical facing upwards and slightly forward. This one has been cut of and re welded back on horizontaly to the turbo so its parralel with the turbo shaft

also if any one has any pics of this item instaled i would be greatfull if they could post them up cheers

Rick Draper
14-03-07, 11:24 PM
It is so the intake pipe can pass through the inner wing on a nova. It means you need a hole cutter to cut the inner wing instead of cutting the slam panel. Courtenay used to do it this way and run the air filter poking up behind the headlight instead of pointing at the suspension turret.

Breeny
14-03-07, 11:25 PM
What he said ^^^ lol

Mike
14-03-07, 11:28 PM
It is so the intake pipe can pass through the inner wing on a nova. It means you need a hole cutter to cut the inner wing instead of cutting the slam panel. Courtenay used to do it this way and run the air filter poking up behind the headlight instead of pointing at the suspension turret.

Now that sounds a way better way of fitting it!

Rick Draper
14-03-07, 11:33 PM
It depends, it is catch 22. You either run a smaller restrictive filter the courtenay way and get more cold air or run a larger less restrictive filter the other way and get more hot air.....

Mike
14-03-07, 11:36 PM
It depends, it is catch 22. You either run a smaller restrictive filter the courtenay way and get more cold air or run a larger less restrictive filter the other way and get more hot air.....

aahhh, i see now :tard: bit of a barsteward either way then

ste porter
14-03-07, 11:44 PM
any one got pics of this all done and fitted ect and pics of it beeing done would be good aswell because if this is the case i may swop him

Lee H
15-03-07, 10:29 AM
Also means the air flow meter has to live under the wheelarch doing it that way, not the best place for it in my opinion.

Ben
15-03-07, 09:18 PM
Breeny

Did you buy a new engine for your car then? Thought the reason it was taken of the road was due to blown engine?

Rick Draper
15-03-07, 11:27 PM
Breeny

Did you buy a new engine for your car then? Thought the reason it was taken of the road was due to blown engine?

The engine was fine but iirc the head was lifting due to loose head bolts causing boost leakage.

fearless
16-03-07, 07:13 PM
any one got pics of this all done and fitted ect and pics of it beeing done would be good aswell because if this is the case i may swop him

Only picture I could find was the first 'famous' one courtney did !! - doesn't give much away but shows the final result !!! :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/fearlessmotorsport/vpcc6.jpg

krobinson
16-03-07, 07:32 PM
Only picture I could find was the first 'famous' one courtney did !! - doesn't give much away but shows the final result !!! :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/fearlessmotorsport/vpcc6.jpg

The new owner has changed this tho, and runs it under the cooling pipe.

Keith

draper
16-03-07, 07:35 PM
it looks loads better being there i reckon, cant believe ive never seen this mod before

ste porter
17-03-07, 12:22 AM
cheers for the help guys dont wana sound greedy but can anyone find any more that show more of whats involved if u can that would be great as i cant seem 2 find any

ste porter
22-03-07, 02:31 PM
any one?